• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newer engine does not have spot in head for Temperature light sensor

Hoodat

NAXJA Forum User
My son has a 1991 cherokee and we are swaping the engine. The original engine has the sensor up on top the head on the drivers side. The engine we are putting in is out of a 1998 and this area on the head is not tapped for a sensor. Has anyone had this experience and if so what is your recomendation?

I think I can pull the drain plug out of the block and put it there but then it is not very easy to get to if needed to be changed. I can also drill and tap this area but I really dont want to get shavings in the coolant. Please let me know if there is any other atlernatives to this issue.

I put an engine out of a 98 into my 88 XJ. I had to remove two plugs in the side of the block. One for my knock sensor, and the other for the temp guage. It was toward the rear of the block behind the headers so it is a PITA to get at, but it's about your only choice. I did this 6 months ago and works fine.
Good luck

I would drill the head and put it in the stock location. Put grease on the drill and the tap. Should help keep most of the shavings out of the coolant. Then run a small pen magnet down the hole. Install sensor and carry on.

When I put a '99 into my '91, I put the coolant sender in the block drain plug with a 3/8 to 1/8 NPT adapter. The temperature gauge is high, but otherwise it works okay. Some people drill and tap into the thermostat housing up front. Either way you'll have to extend the wire.

Back