• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Positive battery terminal corroding?

XJ98Jeep

NAXJA Forum User
It's corroding so badly that every few weeks my Heep just won't start. "click, subwoofer thuds once, everything off." I wirebrush the terminals and everything's good again, but none of our other cars do this, is there a treatment or something I can put on it to prevent this? It always happens at the most inconvenient time too, I was giving some girl a ride, I needed to be at band practice, etc etc. It is the stock terminal, nothing fancy.

Well it could be a result of various problems. I take it that you have a regular lead acid battry.
Do you know how old the battery is?
Have you refilled it lately or at least checked it out? also how is the acid reading?
How are your connections to other attachements? i would reccomend replacing your battery with an gel cell type but they arent cheap. Any info from the battery and your rig may help here as well.
Also have you replaced any of the cabling depending on the year that may help out drastically?

Your battery is probably leaching enough acidic fumes around the post to the point where it is building up on the external battery post. I would buy a commercial coating and try that as ocalajeeper mentions. This problem sounds battery specific; if you eventually get a new battery, you probably won't have this issue any longer.

usually when only one terminal is corroding badly its because of gas leaking around the battery post. either way if its really bad i would reccomend replacing the battery AND the positive cable. take a razor blade and slice the wire open about a half inch long 2 inches or so from the battery terminal and pry it open. if there is corrosion in there your battery cable is junk. corrosion likes to climb down the wire inside the insulation. if its nice and shiny tape it up and just get a new battery... but get some battery terminal cleaner and some protectant to keep the corrosion that is already there from coming back.

A few things:

1) First and foremost, clean the clamps and terminals thoroughly (scrape down to bare shiny metal.)

2) Check your system charging voltage - should be 13.0-14.5VDC with the engine running and minimal electrical load. Higher than that, you're overcharging - and that can cause significant outgassing of acid vapour - and lost of corrosive problems.

3) Also, try this - connect a voltmeter to your battery, disconnect your ignition coil, and have someone crank the engine while you watch the voltmeter. It will dip significantly, but should settle at 9.6VDC or higher - if it doesn't, your battery's plates are sulphated, and that can also cause acid outgassing. (More common with lead-acid cells than with gel cells or AGM batteries.)

4) If you've got everything cleaned up and don't see any battery issues, take about 1/4 cup of petroleum jelly and mix in two tablespoons of baking soda - mix thoroughly. Use this mix to coat your battery terminals and clamps and store the rest somewhere cool and dark (not the fridge.) Check/recoat every three to four months, after deep-water fording, or when you clean the engine bay. Commercial anti-corrosive compounds don't have the heavy body you'd need here, and you'd have to check them every week or so.

It's the NTB (national tire and battery for anyone who doesn't have it) and it definitely isn't gel. It's fairly new, like 6-9 months, and I checked the water maybe a month ago. Outgassing would make sense, the exposed wire on my winch lead is corroded too. The voltage is fine, dead on 14 verified with a voltmeter. Sounds like it's time for an upgrade though, you'll hear no arguments from me :laugh3:

It's the NTB (national tire and battery for anyone who doesn't have it) and it definitely isn't gel. It's fairly new, like 6-9 months, and I checked the water maybe a month ago. Outgassing would make sense, the exposed wire on my winch lead is corroded too. The voltage is fine, dead on 14 verified with a voltmeter. Sounds like it's time for an upgrade though, you'll hear no arguments from me :laugh3:

Upgrade? Hit me backchannel - there's a link in my sig...:shhh::compwork:

I've tried more than a few different anti-corrosion coatings for battery terminals, and the one I gave you is just about the best (and cheapest.)

The positive terminal tends to attract the negative ions that make acid corrosive, which is why it usually corrodes first. The brass terminals that can be found tend to be a bit more resistant to corrosion, but they should be coated as well. You can use that stuff on pretty much any battery connection without any trouble - mains, auxiliaries, winch leads, ...

Once or twice a year I take baking soda and water mix into a paste, coat the terminals and let it sit for a few minutes then flush with clean water from the garden hose. Might repeat that two or three times while I'm doing other stuff, usually changing oil, plugs, stuff like that.
Once I have it nice and clean I smear on whatever synthetic grease I have in my grease gun. Castrol, Mobil-1, etc. Pretty much seals the connection and terminal. Been doing that for years and years. Oh, I have been running red tops for the past 10 years too.

Back