• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fitting OEM tyre carrier to '97-up XJ

casm

NAXJA Forum User
I know I'm talking about OEM hardware here, but it is in a non-standard application... So techincally it's (just barely) mod tech. Anyway:

Yesterday and this morning, I helped with stripping an XJ before sending it off to the junkyard. Nobody seemed to want the OEM tire carrier that was on it, so I snagged it: the specific style is the same as the one in this picture.

While I don't want to get into the relative merits (or lack thereof) of this carrier, I am kind of interested in adapting it out to fit my 2000 until I can afford an aftermarket bumper and carrier. There was a write-up somewhere (not here, IIRC) of a guy who did exactly this: my search-fu is failing, and I can't find the article. If anyone has a link to it I'd appreciate it if you could post it; even though I have all the bracketry, etc. I'd prefer to learn from someone else's mistakes before I start making holes in things.

I know I'm talking about OEM hardware here, but it is in a non-standard application... So techincally it's (just barely) mod tech. Anyway:

Yesterday and this morning, I helped with stripping an XJ before sending it off to the junkyard. Nobody seemed to want the OEM tire carrier that was on it, so I snagged it: the specific style is the same as the one in this picture.

While I don't want to get into the relative merits (or lack thereof) of this carrier, I am kind of interested in adapting it out to fit my 2000 until I can afford an aftermarket bumper and carrier. There was a write-up somewhere (not here, IIRC) of a guy who did exactly this: my search-fu is failing, and I can't find the article. If anyone has a link to it I'd appreciate it if you could post it; even though I have all the bracketry, etc. I'd prefer to learn from someone else's mistakes before I start making holes in things.

Whats your tire size?Its not in your sig!

there is actually a mention of this or very similar swap in Oct 2008 JP magazine in their project mileage master article by Pete Trasborg. you might be able to get some info from them that would help you out.

Casm,
This is the one that has been done that I've seen...

DSC00445.jpg

From what I can tell (I have one waiting to go on also) you just need to modify the latch area to fit on the steel tailgate. All the other holes should be there (the 97+ bumpers have them). Please let me know if you get anywhere with this...I'm really itching to do it myself.
Thanks,
Collin

Whats your tire size?Its not in your sig!

31" (actually 245/75R16). It'll be awhile before I'm running on anything larger than that, so it should hold up OK until then. The main thing is getting that tyre out of the cargo area.

bassfishinxj said:
there is actually a mention of this or very similar swap in Oct 2008 JP magazine in their project mileage master article by Pete Trasborg. you might be able to get some info from them that would help you out.

Cool, thanks. Ill see if I can't dig up a copy.

BIGSLVRXJ said:
This is the one that has been done that I've seen...

We have a winner :) Thanks for that; it's exactly the one I was looking for. You don't happen to have a link to the write-up, do you? There's a forum user whose username matches the licence plate on that XJ, but I don't think it's the same person and Google's not helping (again).

I'm hoping to get to this in the next couple of weeks before the really crap weather starts. I'll get pics, etc. up if it happens.

Last edited:
Back