• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trouble after radiator flush

MattS

NAXJA Forum User
I had my shop flush the radiator, and put on a new cap and T-Stat, and had a new top hose put on. After I got it back, I started having problems. The next morning I didn't have any heat and after driving it a while, I shot anti-freeze all over and it cut off and steam rolled out from under the hood. I had it towed back to the shop and they found that the lower hose had burst. They fixed that and I still had no heat and the temp would settle at the next level up from 210 (about 220-225). On the way taking it in to the shop a 3rd time I stopped for gas. When it started up, my temp gauge pegged all the way to the right. By the time I got to the shop to drop it off, it had settled back down to 220-225, still to hot. I get a call this morning and the mech. says that he got the heat to work, but my anti-freeze is foaming some in the radiator. He says that I may have an engine problem and need to have a compression test done. Any ideas what could be going on or what the comp. test will show? Thanks in advance,

to me that sounds like theres a blockage in the radiator, or the thermostat is stuck, but i could be wrong.

Yeah sounds like they didnt do a complete flush and/or it loosened up alot of junk ,causing a blockage...

Maybe another flush will get it out..

Good Luck

Nick

i forgot to ask what year your XJ/radiator is. is it an open or closed system?

Most chemicals used to flush the radiator are corrosive.It may have damaged something in the motor,like a head gasket,that would explain the foaming.

what did they charge you to flush? radiators from radiator.com are like 120$ shipped to your door....ive used their cheapo radiators for years in literally 5 out of my last 6 cars with no issues, including 2 xj's and i feel better about it than a flush. i still flush the system with the napa powder stuff after install, super easy. and always add a few bars leaks pellets apparently according to thread here on naxja that i now do....

could be the wrong psi for the cap.

Ask the shop guy if he used any "flush" additive. Most shops don't use it around here anymore. Have them flush it again with an antifreeze mix and while there at it, back flush the heater core. Sounds to me like there's a blockage in the radiator somewhere. If there's junk in there, I'd be lunch there's also junk left in the HC too. I flushed mine back and forth a few times with a garden hose and all sorts of crap came out of it.

Make sure the cap is a 16#

the big question is what led you to have it flushed in the first place was it overheating, or crappy heat, or you just felt like it was time?bubbles in the rad isnt good possible headgasket (it was in an old explorer anyway)

due to the foaming, lack of heat, and exploding hose it sounds like you have a head gasket leak or a warped head.

What is the casting # on the head?

Where do I look to get the casting # ? Also, I'm going to get somebody to comp test it for me as soon as I can. What kinds of things am I looking for with the results? Thanks!

The correct pressure cap is 16# NOT 13 and I don't care what the NAPA, AA or joes shade tree book says. The factory service manual and Jeep say 16#.
Jeep part number 1 52079880AA, got 3 of them sitting in plastic bags in front of me and while we are at it, Jeep part number for the Tstat, 1 52028186AB, marked 195 degree, got three of them also sitting here.

My best guess is your water pump is toast, pulled one out of a 99 a couple of weeks ago, same symptoms, prior to that it had a new tstat, pressure cap, radiator, hoses. Pulled the pump and the vanes were gone and I mean gone, they looked like fan blades with no vanes to move water. Once filled and warmed up the system would boil over in the shops engine bay, at idle and with the cap off.

Back