• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what to look out for on a 99

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
My friend is looking at a mint 00 xl rdr 4.0 auto, 50,000km's, never been in 4wd, price is right, anything he should look for, be aware of before the purchase? someone said some have head/gasket issues. Thanks!

Your header says "what to look for on a 99" but your post says your friend is looking at an 00. Which year is it? Very late 99 is when I believe the suspect head was starting to be installed. All of the 00 models have it to my knowledge. The number is stamped on the edge of the head with an 0331. You can see it without removing anything. Not everybody has trouble with the 0331s but yea, they can go south on you, especially ones that have been overheated or where the cooling system hasn't been maintained properly.

My bad its a 00- so head and thats it? and possiibly lp 30.

Which means that if your going to regear or lock it just go pull a HP one out of an earlier year. A friend of mine got one off craigslist for a 6-pack.

Your friend is either one lucky SOB or he's full of crap. Or that was exceptional beer.

The 2000 XJ also uses a different exhaust manifold and I believe you have four O2 sensors to replace when the time comes. Not a big deal. Yo might be able to trade some sensors for a six pack or something.

Last edited:
Your friend is either one lucky SOB or he's full of crap. Or that was exceptional beer.

The 2000 XJ also uses a different exhaust manifold and I believe you have four O2 sensors to replace when the time comes. Not a big deal.

Yes and 3 CATS (two off the manifold are big bucks if they go out on you although I hear if you know the exact part # you can get just the cats for a lot cheaper - by default they try and sell you the entire pice for like $1800.00).

Back