• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anybody else sick of the mud-slinging?

jk333

NAXJA Forum User
I am getting so sick of all the damn mud slinging ads on tv. And its not really at the presidential level, its more the Governor, state reps, etc. Me watching those BS commercials doesnt make me want to vote for one person or another, it makes me lose respect for them. I dont care about all the sh*t they talk about in the commercials, the only thing i want to know is, how are you going to make things better? I know its been standard procedure in politics, but I just want the election over. Ill step off of my soapbox, what do you guys think?

Mudslinging? I don't watch much TV in the first place (Stargate Atlantis and Sanctuary are about it for new TV - everything else is on DVD.)

Newspapers? Quit getting them a while ago. I find them depressing, and I honestly don't think newsmedia has any place endorsing or recommending one candidate over another for anything - they're supposed to be more or less neutral.

Snail mail? Yeah, tiresome. But my MIL is away, and it gives me a supply of fire-lighters I can use for once.

What really gets me are all the damned phone calls! I have caller ID (if I don't recognise the caller, I don't answer. Period) but I get tired of having to delete 8-10 message a day from the machine. I guess the FTC "Do Not Call" list doesn't apply to political messages...

It doesn't

Well, go to buggery! Can I get enough people to complain about that? I want to be pestered with "spin" about as much as I want to be pestered by telemarketers - which is about as much as I'd like to have a manual double orchidectomy sans anaesthesia...

Well, go to buggery! Can I get enough people to complain about that? I want to be pestered with "spin" about as much as I want to be pestered by telemarketers - which is about as much as I'd like to have a manual double orchidectomy sans anaesthesia...
The best thing to do is buy an airhorn and talk really quietly right before using it :D

The best thing to do is buy an airhorn and talk really quietly right before using it :D

NB: with CID and a digital answering machine, I don't answer the phone much (I also have given my cellphone number to all of about two dozen people - either family or MDs. They're all programmed into the phone book - if I get a number I don't recognise, I go right into MSG mode and answer with "What?!?" I do the same for my wife's phone when we're together - she gets a tickle out of it, and it's drastically reduced the number of bum calls we get.)

Besides, airhorns make my headache worse, which just ***sses me off more. I don't need that, then I'd have to go to the local party HQ to express my displeasure.

I'll check out the FTC DNC registry later, and see if I can't find a link to complain to about this - the I'll let everyone here know.

Dammit, I hate election season. Voting is a duty, and I've no trouble with that, but I don't think that all of these phone calls, adverts, all the mudslinging, et al help to make for "informed voters".

Dammit, I hate election season. Voting is a duty, and I've no trouble with that, but I don't think that all of these phone calls, adverts, all the mudslinging, et al help to make for "informed voters".

I couldnt agree more

a cheap way to rid yourself of phone calls. (for now) Ditch the home phone and up your cell plan to make up the difference. there is absolutely no reason for a land line anymore.

I miss how this country came together into not democrat, not republican but one voice as Americans on September 12, 2001. It is to bad that all the mall crawlers that claimed they would never forget...have.

Sad that it takes a national crises, a painful experience to make that happen.

a cheap way to rid yourself of phone calls. (for now) Ditch the home phone and up your cell plan to make up the difference. there is absolutely no reason for a land line anymore.
reliability. Our cell phones drop calls way too often. AT&T claims it's not their fault, it must be the phones. Then they tell me that because my phone has a cracked screen (the little one on the front) they won't help me out. That's the reason I wish I had a land line, at least that way I could be guaranteed that I won't drop calls at home.

reliability. Our cell phones drop calls way too often. AT&T claims it's not their fault, it must be the phones. Then they tell me that because my phone has a cracked screen (the little one on the front) they won't help me out. That's the reason I wish I had a land line, at least that way I could be guaranteed that I won't drop calls at home.
well, with at&t you have a valid statement. :spin1:

Dropping calls hasnt been an issue for me in 8 years.hasta

well, with at&t you have a valid statement. :spin1:

Dropping calls hasnt been an issue for me in 8 years.hasta
We didn't until the current phones (Samsung A707 Sync). I just "inherited" a Blackjack since my FIL upgraded and got a new one, so we'll see if there's an improvement.

Comcast VVD (Voice/Video/Data.) I don't like voicemail - cellphones are too small, and the interface feels too clunky. Answering maching on the landline.

I don't watch much TV, but the Blonde Thing (tm) will put it on for BGM sometimes, and the MIL parks in front of the damned idiot box.

I use the dataline most of all. If I could get fracT1 or full T1 in, I'd probably do that - but I can't justify the cost. Used to have DSL, but the Comcast data is faster and costs a bit less. Either way, it's deductible for me anyhow.

"Up" the cell plan? Neither of us likes phones - we have the minimum plan, and don't even use all of that. Besides, having a landline does give some continuity - we've moved four times, but had the same phone number for the last twelve years. With family scattered all over the country for both of us, that does come in handy (although most of my family conversations take place using Trillian - saves on long distance charges.)

Comcast VVD (Voice/Video/Data.) I don't like voicemail - cellphones are too small, and the interface feels too clunky. Answering maching on the landline.

I don't watch much TV, but the Blonde Thing (tm) will put it on for BGM sometimes, and the MIL parks in front of the damned idiot box.

I use the dataline most of all. If I could get fracT1 or full T1 in, I'd probably do that - but I can't justify the cost. Used to have DSL, but the Comcast data is faster and costs a bit less. Either way, it's deductible for me anyhow.

"Up" the cell plan? Neither of us likes phones - we have the minimum plan, and don't even use all of that. Besides, having a landline does give some continuity - we've moved four times, but had the same phone number for the last twelve years. With family scattered all over the country for both of us, that does come in handy (although most of my family conversations take place using Trillian - saves on long distance charges.)
I have comcast data/tv but no Phone. My phone bill is half my Landline was. Nationwide minutes. I have a Blackberry, its stable, I have had the same number for 3 years. Before, my landline was my grandmothers number from the early 80's. But in todays day and age. A cell phone is better in every aspect then a land line. ....well.. unless you forget your charger

I'm sick of hearing about Barack Obama. He might as well change his name to Jesus the way the media worships him.

Ive noticed that too and its kinda sickening. He IS human and a politician.

Yeah. The media bias has been worse than ever this time.

I was listening to Tom Leykis this afternoon and I'd be willing to bet if he met Obama in real life, he'd give him oral.

Back