• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hub bearing

94xj6.5

NAXJA Forum User
ok i have a 94 xj and need to replace the hub bearings and found a deal on a set out of an 01. i checked and the part # from oreilly's is diffrent between the 2 years. but my ? and im afraid i already know the answer is can i use the hub bearings from an 01 on my 94. what is the diffrence between the 2.
thanks in advance for any help
mike

ok i have a 94 xj and need to replace the hub bearings and found a deal on a set out of an 01. i checked and the part # from oreilly's is diffrent between the 2 years. but my ? and im afraid i already know the answer is can i use the hub bearings from an 01 on my 94. what is the diffrence between the 2.
thanks in advance for any help
mike
ive always thought all dana 30 hub bearings were the same on the xj's and tj's but i might be wrong

In short, you can use the 01 hub bearings. BUT, then you'd also have to get some 01 rotors.

I'm not sure how good of a deal you are getting, but RockAuto.com has new timken unit bearings for like $80 each.

Sometimes paying more for new parts is worth it.

I wish I got the Timken bearings for $80 online.

I got some "Falcon Steering" brand hubs at a local store for $80. I thought I was getting a steal considering that Advance Auto was selling Timkens for $140. 2 of these Falcon hubs have had play thus far and they only carry a 1 year warranty.

Although it is quite easy to warranty these being that the store is local, I'm sure it would be a larger pain in the butt to warranty something from an online store...with shipping both ways and the wait time and such. Although with Timken I doubt you'd have to warranty them much, if at all ever.

Since the original set came off my XJ, I used a set of Timkens and they really didn't last that long <30K> before I detected that they had a grindy feel when turned by hand.
A couple things came to mind. The first was that I wasn't torquing to spec. The torque spec for the front hums is actually very hefty because it hold the hub together. The second is that since the 86' hub I put in on that rig, I haven't seen a real nice seal on the inner side of the Hub. The early models you could buy the seal separate, the new ones don't have it <don't need it?>

Hub failures never seem to be catastrophic unless the shaft that goes through the hub is not installed, then the bearing will separate and cause loss of vehicle or life. So warranty lenght will not matter whether you get off the trail or not, neither will the manufacture.

Lastly, NAPA sells a Hub for an XJ for $72+ Tax. It is not their lifetime warr one, but it has a year warranty. Rockauto price for a Timken set is currently $92 + shipping. I bought my last set from NAPA. So far no problems.

Since the original set came off my XJ, I used a set of Timkens and they really didn't last that long <30K> before I detected that they had a grindy feel when turned by hand.
A couple things came to mind. The first was that I wasn't torquing to spec. The torque spec for the front hums is actually very hefty because it hold the hub together. The second is that since the 86' hub I put in on that rig, I haven't seen a real nice seal on the inner side of the Hub. The early models you could buy the seal separate, the new ones don't have it <don't need it?>

Hub failures never seem to be catastrophic unless the shaft that goes through the hub is not installed, then the bearing will separate and cause loss of vehicle or life. So warranty lenght will not matter whether you get off the trail or not, neither will the manufacture.

Lastly, NAPA sells a Hub for an XJ for $72+ Tax. It is not their lifetime warr one, but it has a year warranty. Rockauto price for a Timken set is currently $92 + shipping. I bought my last set from NAPA. So far no problems.

i got mine at napa too. its in town and didnt have to wait long. paid 74ish each.

Back