• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hp dana 30 probs

lil_red_wagon

NAXJA Forum User
i have a dana 30 in my 90 cherokee. its not a disconnect. its actin like it has a locker in it. when im turnin it pops and jumps like its locked. i have replaced rotors, calipairs, pads, u joints in the knuckles, and in the front shaft. anyone have any ideas what it is? could it be my diff or what?

are you stuck in 4H by chance?

Have you removed the front drive shaft to isolate the front axle from the rest of the drive train? If the problem persists after you take the front ds off, then you know the problem is in the axle itself. If the problem goes away, something is keeping your tranfer case in 4H.

hth
stewie

Have you taken off the diff cover to check the spider gears yet? Do you offroad it much?
X2 about seeing if you are in 4 wheel drive.

i can disconnect the front shaft and it still does it. no i havent opened up the cover yet. everyone was tellin me it was my u joints in the front knuckles so i replaced them and i had the middle swivle yoke in my front shaft all messed up replaced it and checked all the u joints there they where fine. and i can put in 2wd adn get in grass and do donuts put it in 4h and it dont spin like that any more all 4 pull.

Let us know what you find. This sounds just like my chain slipping when I had it in part time 4x4 (NP242).

The problem is the shafts will not have anything to slip into, and will flop around in there with nothing holding them centered or attached to the carrier. This could probably mess up an axleshaft seal, as it would be resting on the seal alone. I wouldn't do this.

Changing the spiders isn't bad if you have some new ones. It took me less than a day to switch mine.

No, you have to have everthing in there or nothing. If you choose nothing, then remove the shafts, disconnect the inner and outer at the ujoint and run with just the outer shafts. You will also need to remove the front driveshaft since there will be no oil in the diff.

You will also need to remove the front driveshaft since there will be no oil in the diff.
No he wont, as he won't be in 4wd there won't be any power going to the front driveshaft, therefore it will not spin. There won't be any axle shafts to connect the carrier to the wheels, therefore it will not spin. The carrier will stay in place and not move unless he puts it in 4wd. Its essentially the same concept as manual lock out hubs.

Back