• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

headlight/foglight wiring woes....

RaccoonJoe

NAXJA Forum User
OK. So I got tired of my Renix foglights only working when the low beam headlights were on. I spliced the power wire for the foglight switch into the thin blue wire (the Haynes manual said that that was for the parking lights). Now I don't have any running lights at all (my header panel, the headlights/parking lights in the front are disconnected), and no power to the fog light relay. Did I blow a fuse? And more importantly, is there a better place to tap into the wiring? All I want to do is have foglights when the running lights are on.....therefore having the foglights when both the high and low beam headlights are on......

Sorry for the long post, it's been a long night, with some liquor involved during the troubleshooting process......

Why not run a new power line right off the battery with an inline fuse to the switch then you get all the power you need and have the best of both worlds. I did a similar hack job on my 97XJ a few years back except i splice into the cigarette liter power, now every time I use the for lights the dash lights dim and the fog lights are just about worth less. I need to take my own advice and do what I suggested, its just not a top priority. I need to fix my washer fluid pumps first...

Good luck

DRB

97XJ

Solution!!

Turns out I just blew the fuse. I currently have the power for the foglight switch plugged into the signal wire for the parking light relays. Now I have foglights when the headlight switch is any of the "on" positions, and when the headlights are off, the foglights are off as well. That should help reduce the number of jumpstarts I need, from leaving the lights on while I'm at work :yelclap:

I jumpered the input to the hi/lo switch to the low beam output with an inline switch, so I can fix the low beams (and fog lights) on with my high's. Haven't had any issues with the headlamps going out prematurely. Sometimes it's nice to have the extra light.

That's an interesting concept. I was thinking about it, but was always concerned about the headlights burning out.

Think for right now, I'll just stick with my 2 sets of lights. One set up for driving pointing far down the road, and one set up for off-highway, pointing at the ditches.

Back