• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Plans for new my new XJ a few Questions????

kenny schmitt

NAXJA Forum User
So i had to buy a 99 when my 96 got hit and i still have the drivetrain, 5.5"re lift 33's and a bunch of new parts. My 99 is a 2dr 5spd bone stock. before i do the lift i want to por 15 the whole underneeth of the truck im in NY so it must be done. Before any of that here is what i plan on doing under the hood.

Exaust....Dynomax cat back, Is the HP cat worth it for up to $250, I also need to find a front pipe without that dent in it, And Thinking of gettin a header but havnt found one yet.

Ignition....Have to decide MSD or Accel wires and cap. Considering the kit from 4wd that has wires,cap,plugs and i think distributor. i also want to replace the coil if i can.

I will be doing a locrite in the rear with front and rear gears but not sure yet what size, I will be turning 33's.

The truck has 125k on it but feels really strong. even after a wheel alignment the truck pulls to the right what could this be? not sure where or how to check.

I am alo thinking about things like a cam and i want an intake but have to see about a snorkel. any advice on what to do and where to find it would be great thanks

So i had to buy a 99 when my 96 got hit and i still have the drivetrain, 5.5"re lift 33's and a bunch of new parts. My 99 is a 2dr 5spd bone stock. before i do the lift i want to por 15 the whole underneeth of the truck im in NY so it must be done. Before any of that here is what i plan on doing under the hood.

Exaust....Dynomax cat back, Is the HP cat worth it for up to $250, I also need to find a front pipe without that dent in it, And Thinking of gettin a header but havnt found one yet.

Ignition....Have to decide MSD or Accel wires and cap. Considering the kit from 4wd that has wires,cap,plugs and i think distributor. i also want to replace the coil if i can.

I will be doing a locrite in the rear with front and rear gears but not sure yet what size, I will be turning 33's.

The truck has 125k on it but feels really strong. even after a wheel alignment the truck pulls to the right what could this be? not sure where or how to check.

I am alo thinking about things like a cam and i want an intake but have to see about a snorkel. any advice on what to do and where to find it would be great thanks

I wouldnt waste the $250 for a high flow cat. The small amount of power you *might* gain doesnt justify the cost IMO. And as far at the 'dent' in the downpipe, its factory. They do that to clear the yoke on the front axle. Either get a new one made or modify the factory one. As far as a new exhaust manifold goes, we've had good luck with the ones off Ebay and Dorman ones.

As far as the tune parts go, ive used parts house brand stuff and havent had any problems. A complete kit isnt a bad way to go though. As far as the coil, if it works, leave it. Not really going to see any gain in a new one.(Does anyone even make a better than stock coil for the 4.0?)

Id run at least 4.56 gears for 33's. It'll give you the capabilites of a lower range on the trail, and you'll still have the power on the street. 4.88's are a good choice if you dont mind running slightly higher RPM's on the freeway.

Did you take it to a shop to have it aligned? IF you did, I would take it back and make them do it again. Check all the TRE's. Is the axle centered? Are the CA's the same length on each side?

Again, is a new cam worth the time and money to you? Removing the intake/exhaust manifold, head, front fascia, ect.. to remove the old cam. If you're looking for more power, a bigger one can help, but you may suffer from loss of low end torque, gas mileage, ect.. Id wait on the intake until you deciede on the snorkel you want to go with, if you end up with one at all. The stock box flows plenty fine for a stock 4.0. Going to a cone filter on an intake tube will only hurt you as you'll be sucking in hot air right off the exhaust manifold.

Get some new tune up parts but keep the stock coil, don't waste the money on an expensive high flow cat, the magnaflow can be had for under $100 and flows fine. Be careful about removing too much restriction from the exhaust, you will kill your low end torque. Without extensive and expensive mods to the head and valvetrain you will have worse performance. I recommand 4:56 for 33" tires unless it's a trail rig, then 4:88's would be good. If it is street driven much then I would do 4:56's and a 4:1 low range kit for the xfer case if you are into crawling. I have a lockrite in my 8.25 rear and I'm not impressed with the durability. I have an aussie in the front and I am thrilled with it. Aussie is supposed to be making a locker for the 8.25 but so far it's not ready yet. If you are doing just one locker, I recommend putting it in the front. You will have better all around capability from just a front locker than from just a rear locker. I recommend the AEM header, it's cheap compared to the others and has plenty of performance for a stock engine. Good luck with your build!

Yaithink im going to do a cat back and see about getting a pipe made. i will do the simple ignition stuff for now. the truck is still stock the control arms should all be the same. and the trackbar is fixed. Brakes?

Back