• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

questions about offset rims

blazinjames

NAXJA Forum User
question about offset rims..what is the backspacing on a stock cherokee rim(gold honeycomb ones to exact)?

ive been trying to figure out what rim i want to buy, but dont understand backspacing that much.

ive seen backspacing from 3.5-5.5 but dont know what that means?
bigger number the farther out the tires will be?

also what is the bolt partern for jeeps 5x5 or 5x4.5??

also what size rim do i want to fit 32/11.50 or 32/12.50s?

thanks

Last edited:
blazinjames; also what is the bolt partern for jeeps 5x5 or 5x4.5?? also what size rim do i want to fit 32/11.50 or 32/12.50s? thanks[/quote said:
Cherokees have a factory pattern of 5X 4.5 and i would recommend a 15" wheel for that size of tires

search is your friend, factory rims are 5.25 inch backspace. measured from inside lip of rim to mounting surface. high numbers bring wheel in towards jeep low numbers push wheel away from jeep. ie 3.5 backspace will stick out past flare.

Most go with an 8" rim,definately no on a 10".

facory is 3.5 " on stock cherkee IIRC so say you put a wheel with a 7 inch back space, it would move the wheels in 3.5 inches ..

what size you run is depending on tire and terrain, if you go with 32"s in rocks then you air down a 12.5 width will air down to say 14" on the ground,

youi want this

..but the overall height from the ground is lower than actyually than a full 32s

dont want this..

if you go with 11.5 go with a 7 inch wheel if ya jump to 12,5 then a 8 ich width is nice

if ya go mudding or aired up go narrow, or show:music:

, narrow is good and factory wheels are 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern

Last edited:
facory is 3.5 " on stock cherkee IIRC so say you put a wheel with a 7 inch back space, it would move the wheels in 3.5 inches ..
I believe the stock back spacing is more like 5-5.5". I run a 3.75"BS 15"x8" wheel with a 12.50 tire, and they stick out just past the stock flares (or where they would be, if I still had them).
The smaller the number, the farther they will stick out. You don't want to go more than about 3.75", or it will be hard on the balljoints.

what size you run is depending on tire and terrain, if you go with 32"s in rocks then you air down a 12.5 width will air down to say 14" on the ground,

youi want this

..but the overall height from the ground is lower than actyually than a full 32s

dont want this..

if you go with 11.5 go with a 7 inch wheel if ya jump to 12,5 then a 8 ich width is nice

This is a confused muddle of misinformation. You did get the bolt circle right though. The widest tire recomended for a 7" wheel is a 10.50 & that's pushing it.

youi want this

dont want this..

:eyes:

Thats BS,on my 95 I run 33x12.5's on a 7" rim!
I said recomended, I didn't say they wouldn't fit. I ran 12.50s on 15x7" Chev truck wheels & it worked fine, EXCEPT THEY WORE OUT IN THE MIDDLE, because the wheel was too narrow. An 8" wheel with a 12.50 tire is pushing it. What tire manufacturer reccomends a 7" wheel for even an 11.50? Most tire shops won't mount a tire on a rim that's not in the recomended size range. We all do stuff that is not recomended by manufacturers. If it works for you, fine, but that does not mean it's recomended. My daughters father-in-law runs 10.50s on a 10" rim, that's not recomended either, but it works for him. And every time he buys tires he has to argue with the guys at Les Schwab before they'll sell him what he wants.!!!1

Last edited:
I'll just throw it out there...I run a BFG Mud 31x10.5 tire on a 15"x8" rim with a 5x4.5 bolt pattern and 3.75 bs and with my 3" (BB to 4.5") lift and I have zero rub with normal driving, and a little rub at full tuck.

l_d7433082fa6a3eb1b8a070dc71d0740b.jpg

^There's a pic for an idea of how much the tires stick out. (fenders trimmed, no bumpstops...getting some though)

~Scott

That's about the right offset, in my opinion. I have TJ 15x8" wheels with 5.5" backspacing & 31"s. I had to shim the stops in the front & pull the rear swaybar to cure the rubbing problems. My son runs aftermarket 8" wheels with 3.75 bs & 31"s with no issues except minor rubbing on the lcas at full lock off camber.

hmmm sounds like I will want to run about 3.5 inches of backspacing then with 33x12.5's and a 4.5 inch lift. I was thinking of picking up a set of crager soft 8's. I'll have to see what the backspacing is on their 15x8's.

hmmm sounds like I will want to run about 3.5 inches of backspacing then with 33x12.5's and a 4.5 inch lift. I was thinking of picking up a set of crager soft 8's. I'll have to see what the backspacing is on their 15x8's.

There is more than one BS available for the soft 8s, as well as most wheels. As I mentioned in my first post, you really don't want to go less than 3.75" for the sake of your balljoints..

3.75" and 33x12.50s fit great, I have no rubbing issues whatsoever. I did bumpstop, and have trimmed fenders. In the second pic, the stock flares were raised about 1.5" or so.

DSCF1489.jpg

Here is one from when I first went to 4.5" and 33s, 4+ years ago. Cleanest it's ever been!

CleanXJ.jpg

Last edited:
Back