• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Advice on painting this thing.......

YELLAHEEP

NAXJA Forum User
The rig in question:

DSCN4105.jpg

It was first painted flat white, then this configuration. It's all rattle-can, rough texture, peeling and fading.

I'm considering having the whole thing media blasted to get down to a better base but what problems could that cause? Would I need to primer the whole rig before paint or could I skip right to paint?

What inexpensive paint would work? I'd rather not mess with having to mix and or thin the paint - is there a ready-to-spray paint product out there? I don't wanna rattle can it again.

I'm not looking for a nice paint job by any means, I'm willing to use an HVLP gun outside in the driveway if need be. Or use those refillable spray cans. But I do want good adhesion and want to keep the fading to a minimum.

I figure I'd like to change the body color and probably keep the tube black. My initial thoughts were to paint the body first after prep, not worrying about overspray on the tube. Then after it dries, use thin mil plastic sheet (painter's drop plastic) and fit it all tight on the body then paint the tube.

The green is wearing thin with me - looking for something less dramatic.

The rig in question:

DSCN4105.jpg

It was first painted flat white, then this configuration. It's all rattle-can, rough texture, peeling and fading.

I'm considering having the whole thing media blasted to get down to a better base but what problems could that cause? Would I need to primer the whole rig before paint or could I skip right to paint? Yes, you'll need to primer the rig after blasting, in order to get a long-lasting, durable finish.....if not, you might as well save your money and time.

What inexpensive paint would work? Urethane base/clear are pretty forgiving and not to hard to apply. I'd rather not mess with having to mix and or thin the paint - is there a ready-to-spray paint product out there? http://www.paintforcars.com/customer_testimonials.htmlI don't wanna rattle can it again.

I'm not looking for a nice paint job by any means, I'm willing to use an HVLP gun outside in the driveway if need be. Or use those refillable spray cans. But I do want good adhesion and want to keep the fading to a minimum.

I figure I'd like to change the body color and probably keep the tube black. My initial thoughts were to paint the body first after prep, not worrying about overspray on the tube. Then after it dries, use thin mil plastic sheet (painter's drop plastic) and fit it all tight on the body then paint the tube. Agreed, but the plastic will fly into the tube and stick to wet paint, mask the large areas with plastic, but use masking paper under the tube so it will stay in place.

The green is wearing thin with me - looking for something less dramatic.

May I suggests.........silver? Good luck, Troy.

Yeah..... yer not biased or anything..... :D

I'm certainly open to suggestions..... I just can't envision a color.

I wouldn't blast underneath the factory primer. If you do, you'll need any epoxy primer coat on the bare metal to replace it. Or it will rust to nothing quickly.

Most of those surfaces you could hit with a random orbital with some soft paper (220 or so) before you paint. That would knock down the texture but leave the factory primer.

I'm kinda partial to red . . .

aw man, no more "avocadoheep"...:doh:

duplicolor's "paintshop" line of colors is ready to shoot in the can, and they are a two stage paint product, meaning the clear is a seperate application. that tends to produce a better and longer lasting finish.

The problem with using the orbital is it only fits in a few spots - the tubes are all over the place and ya can't get in between 'em.

I didn't think about media blasting taking the base coat off...... might just have to use tons of elbow grease and sanding blocks..... yuk.

Duplicolor huh? Meaning if I use that "Paint shop" line I'd need to by a base color and a clear? Interesting.........

Example?

I would think the color would be obvious!!

You could use an Acrylic Enamel. It is a single stage paint (no clear coat) and usually relatively inexpensive.

You will need to mix in some hardener but it is not difficult.

I would think the color would be obvious!!

You could use an Acrylic Enamel. It is a single stage paint (no clear coat) and usually relatively inexpensive.

You will need to mix in some hardener but it is not difficult.

Acrylic enamel lays down very nice indeed. So maybe yellow jeep with green exo? Little lemon, little lime? Yeah :cheers:

Back