• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dove tail question

Search for posts by Ashman on here. He did one a long time ago, and it turned out pretty good. I'm kicking the idea around for my next rig.

Search for posts by Ashman on here. He did one a long time ago, and it turned out pretty good. I'm kicking the idea around for my next rig.

that's probably one of my favorite xj's ever. thing is built.

thanks for the info guys when i get it done ill put pics up but im not sure when it will be done im hopeing to start on the rear 11-1 and ill do the front begining of next year with tax returns so i can pay to have a radiator made im aslo wanting to build a "halo" for it after i do the rear does anybody know where i can get the tubing bent for cheap or mayb even a 6-pack i'll need six bends four of them being 90* and not sure about the other two until i finish the rear

here's a couple pics of mine. No as nice as some but it works.

I cut the entire back end down to the floor and rebuilt it. IIRC the dove tail was a bit over 8" per side. The inside of the rear fenders fenders are close to the original location. Were I to do it again I'd completely remove the back of the jeep and tube it out. To much weigh in steel and the tires touch the inner fenders when its flexed out.

1000935qi5.jpg
1000480fg8.jpg
dsc00931cw8.jpg

i was in the advanced fab. forum and found nothing on the rear but a few on the front. i have an idea of what to do but i was just hopeing to find a pic of one that was done so i could get an idea for the rear. i'll just do it like everything else start cuttin and hope to god it looks good when im done:eek:

ok so has anybody tried to dove nose a cherokee and keep the factory look per say... as in spending time to strech the fenders to fit narrowing the hood....and how did you go about doing it some crazy tube work or what????????

im aslo wanting to build a "halo" for it after i do the rear does anybody know where i can get the tubing bent for cheap or mayb even a 6-pack i'll need six bends four of them being 90* and not sure about the other two until i finish the rear

Your bends shouldn't be 90 degree's at the front corners (it won't look right).
When we did the NWHBC cages we did a 10 deg bend in the middle of the windshield and 88 deg bends on each corner for the front. These are just for referance and will be slightly different for each vehicle and design. If you are going to go to the effort of building a Halo, don't over simplify the angles, build it exactly how you want it to FIT your Jeep.

I assume you are building a full cage to keep the structure of the XJ with the Dovetail?

Michael

Back