• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pulling my motor... A few questions

Devil_Mutt

NAXJA Member #1244
I tried searching, but maybe I didnt word it right. When it comes to the 4.0 Im a complete noob. I have come to terms with this and am OK with it. Im getting ready to pull my tired 313,000 mile I6 and drop in a freshened up one to run while I stroke out the pulled one. Two questions. Is there a certain place I need to lift my motor from, and if so what size bolts do I need? Secondly where should I bolt up the engine stand to and again, what size bolts am I gonna need? I know these may sound silly, but want to have everything I need before I start.

Lift- sides of the head, I used a 1/2 bolt on each side. If you pull the head you can use the head bolt holes to lift from.

Stand- Hook it up to the back, use the top bellhousing bolts and the side wings. Then get a 4x4 and cut it the right length to prop under the nose so it does not bend the stand. This is a very heavy motor.

Just my personal preference, I remove the intake/exhaust, starter, take off the front clip (actually the hardest part the first time, a snap the second time after greasing all the bolts). Raise the fromt of the XJ a little to get the right angle and pull the engine transmission and transfer as a unit. I have to lower the front of the XJ back down to get enough height on my motor lift.
I use a front intake exhaust bolt and a strap around the motor right at the rear main bearing (three points). The only damage I've ever done is to bend the dust cover for the flex plate a couple of times.
I made a four wheeled dolly with wooden blocks to support the motor around the pan on the pan bolts. The right side is straight the left side of the motor requires a couple of extra piece of 2X4 for the right form. I like to be able to roll my motor around the shop.
Centering the motor on the engine stand is kind of a trial any error type thing. It usually takes me a couple of tries so I can spin it easily. Sorry I don't remember the bolt sizes, I have a large selection of bolts on hand.
Separating the motor from the tranny and getting the motor out isn't that big of a deal, but getting them mated back up again in the vehicle has turned into a rather frustrating process on way too many occasions for me. I mate the tranny and transfer back up to the motor on the garage floor and put them back in as a unit. If I take the motor out separately I use a rear intake bolt and a couple of front accessory bolts for my chains (three points).

Last edited:
I remove the intake and exhaust manifold and use one of the 3/8 holes to bolt a chain on the drivers side and remove the a/c mounting bracket and use one of the 3/8 holes to bolt the chain on the passenger side..... You will need to remove the grille, radiator and condensor....

The bolts you need for your engine stand are two 3/8" bolts (the two upper holes) and two 7/16" bolts ( the two lower holes at the block ears) that are long enough to go through your stand and have enough threads to reach into the block...

Back