• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I must have hit something at Reiter...

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm in the process of stripping the inside of my Jeep to Herculine the rest of the interior while I install a new wiring harness and replace the old sound proofing...and I noticed a nice little crack. Its at the hump under the rear seats, and it looks pretty new (because every hole that went outside the Jeep has rust around it, this things clean) so I'm thinking I must have smacked something at the Reiter clean-up that managed to bend and crack the sheet metal.

Here are the pics...(sorry for the crappy quality...cell phone pics)
94118944er5.jpg

65829094lk1.jpg

^Work so far.

So you guys think I should have this baby welded, fix the dent, slap some JB weld on it and call it good, what?

~Scott

From the rust coming fom the crack, I would say its been there a while. I would drill through the sheet metal on both ends of the crack to stop it from spreading. I would then just weld it back up. You could put some 16 gauge over it to reinforce it if you wanted to.

i have one very similar but longer on the center of the hump, from my rear driveshaft smacking it after my U-joint broke.

From the rust coming fom the crack, I would say its been there a while. I would drill through the sheet metal on both ends of the crack to stop it from spreading. I would then just weld it back up. You could put some 16 gauge over it to reinforce it if you wanted to.

It's not rust, just dirt. Thats cell phone pictures for ya! :angel: I don't recall it being there when I pulled my carpet about a month ago for the cargo areas herculiner either.

But yeah drilling the ends sound good, I dont have access to a welder though, do you think it's worth the trouble of taking it to a welding place?

~Scott

So I'm in the process of stripping the inside of my Jeep to Herculine the rest of the interior while I install a new wiring harness and replace the old sound proofing...and I noticed a nice little crack. Its at the hump under the rear seats, and it looks pretty new (because every hole that went outside the Jeep has rust around it, this things clean) so I'm thinking I must have smacked something at the Reiter clean-up that managed to bend and crack the sheet metal.

Here are the pics...(sorry for the crappy quality...cell phone pics)
94118944er5.jpg

65829094lk1.jpg

^Work so far.

So you guys think I should have this baby welded, fix the dent, slap some JB weld on it and call it good, what?

~Scott

Scott,
Take a couple of other pic's. I can't figure out where it is located? Near the back seats? Maybe put an arrow or circle around the photo so we know where it is located. Also, what does it look like under the Jeep?

I *suspect* that it isn't a big deal and would probably drill a couple of small holes at each end, JB weld it up and maybe cover with some thin sheet (you could JB weld that also if you wanted Or you could use some fiberglass if that is any easier for you. I just don't want to suggest that until I know where it is located and how it might have happened!

Michael

Scott,
Take a couple of other pic's. I can't figure out where it is located? Near the back seats? Maybe put an arrow or circle around the photo so we know where it is located. Also, what does it look like under the Jeep?

I *suspect* that it isn't a big deal and would probably drill a couple of small holes at each end, JB weld it up and maybe cover with some thin sheet (you could JB weld that also if you wanted Or you could use some fiberglass if that is any easier for you. I just don't want to suggest that until I know where it is located and how it might have happened!

Michael

Ask and you shall recieve. I couldnt get any pics from underneith for the obvious reason its late, but I'll try and get some tomorrow. I took a look earlier though when I was pulling my shocks off to install my BPEs and it looks exactly like you would imagen it would look, the opposite of how it does on top, a crack that goes inward rather than out...hah.

2966091402_b883e7034e_o.jpg

2966091394_dacba68694_o.jpg

2966091386_cbf96f7204_o.jpg

~Scott

EDIT: Oh, and I beat it with a mallet a bit to eliminate the buldge.

I wouldnt be too pround of that.:scared:

-Alex

Not on the crack, the buldge on the hump where it bent up...I suppose it's not the best idea, but I can't see it messing anything up then it already is.

~Scott

Ask and you shall recieve. I couldnt get any pics from underneith for the obvious reason its late, but I'll try and get some tomorrow. I took a look earlier though when I was pulling my shocks off to install my BPEs and it looks exactly like you would imagen it would look, the opposite of how it does on top, a crack that goes inward rather than out...hah.

~Scott

EDIT: Oh, and I beat it with a mallet a bit to eliminate the buldge.

I would do as I suggested above. before you use the JB weld use a mallet and try to get it back to "normal" as possible. I would also monitor it over the next year just to make sure it doesn't spread (but I would be really surprised!!).

If you can get at it from the bottom, do the same on that side as well.
Michael

Last edited:
I would do as I suggested above. before you use the JB weld use a mallet and try to get it back to "normal" as possible. I would also monitor it over the next year just to make sure it doesn't spread (but I would be really surprised!!).

If you can get at it from the bottom, do the same on that side as well.
Michael

Ok cool, I'll do that. Glad to hear I didn't screw up by trying to beat it back into shape like Alex was suggesting. I'll get some JB weld and fix this sucker before I herculine (I'll leave that spot clean so I can keep an eye on it).

Just wanted to make sure this wasn't going to be something stupid serious. :dunno:

~Scott

Back