• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Opinions on Mickey Thompson

SID'S Garage

NAXJA Forum User
I tried a search on Mickey Thompson Baja MTX's. Has anyone used them, any opinions.
I'm on the road 90+%, On beach sand usually, and once a year or so in the mud and trails.
I'm running stock axles (8.25 and D30) 242 TCase, and 4.5" lift in a 2000.

From what ive heard they arent too good. But if your 90% street it shouldnt be too bad. I dont know about noise issues though...

Why dont you look at BFG All-terrains? Theyre great on road, and are actually pretty decent off as well.

my .02.

If you're on the street 90% of the time, go with BFG A/T's, they'll last forever and ride great. Plus they are not too bad off road. Of course they won't match up to a mud tire in the mud, but if you're rarely doing that anyway, it shouldn't matter.

Plus you'll save some coin, as I believe the BFG's are cheaper than Mickey's.

Also, I'll add that I have seen many rigs wheeling with BFG A/Ts and they do just as well as others.

Yeah if you are do go this route i think the all terrains would be best. My friend had them on his cherokee in 31" and he said they did okay in mud believe it or not, i may give them a try if they arent too expensive. They are very quiet too. Very mild tire with big enough voids to be a little better in mud.

I ran a set of 33" mtz alot on road, played in mud quite a bit, a hole on the way home, oh joy! I have 35" bfg at's now. I liked the mickeys, did well in slop (for me). However, I think they wore kinda quick, and were noisier than the bfg's. I say the mickeys would be good in wet mud, playin. However, for street driving and noise level, bfg beats them. In my opinion. There are plenty of brands, I'm sure you'll get lot's of opinions. Check price, and look for good tread pattern, I'm sure once you find a good tire for a good price we can give you enough information to fill a book, a long book, full of insults and opinion.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses, the reason I asked about them specifically is Summit is closing them out, they have odd lots of different sizes, some they have a couple, some they have a lot. The 285/75 r16, which is supposed to equate to 33x11.5 are only $133 and only $9 each to ship..

This is at least $30 cheaper than 6 other sites I found.

I read some other reviews too, and they also said they're not a substantial Mud Tire, but they should suit me.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+115+303310&D=303310

Thanks again.

Back