• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Im stumped need help

89jeepxjw

NAXJA Forum User
Ok heres he run down. I had a bad u-joint on the pass side axleshaft,replaced it and then had a popping/binding when turning left. Took it all apart and found nothing,slapped it back together and then the noise is gone. So I got a chance to drop it in low and now I have a horrible popping/banging/binding coming from the front, only does it in 4wd. Replaced the joint again and its still there. Swapped a new unit bearing/hub and its still here. I am totally stumped and want to get ready for a moab trip in two weeks. Please help. An exploded picture of he d30 axle would help out too.

make sure your actual tire diameters match too....if one or two tires are worn considerably more than the others itll cause a bind. fwiw.

edit:check in the disco if it's there. I had a bent d30 and the disco wasnt lined up correctly any more. made a hell of a racket in 4wd

Pulled cover and everything seems fine. Dont think its the tires becasue it only started doing this after I replaced the axle u-joint.Its a non disco hp30 on my 97.The only other thing I can remeber being out of place is the plastic seal on the shaft was about a quarter inch from the axle tube. I was thinkign this might give the shafts less room to move around eachother therefore binding. Anyone have an exploded diagram of a d30?
Edit: while in 4wd it only does it during while turning.

Ive only had it in 4wheel on some loose dirt so no pavement.Is there any spec to how much the stub shaft should sit in our out relative to to unit bearing?

Ok what kind of TC to you have? If its the np 207 with a CV style drive shaft... Its more than likely the CV joint went bad. I had the same thing happen to mine.

You have an SYE on your FRONT drive shaft?

That was my point.

Back