• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 44 pinion and gears

jeephick85

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All, I have a 87 xj with a dana 44 and over the past few weeks I've had a vibration underneath. Well I decided to take apart my rear and noticed with the tires,drums and drive shaft taken off, the pinion sticks when I try and spin it. It only sticks on the initial first rotation, once it comes loose it will spin.. I noticed a few small metal shavings in the oil, nothing crazy. Now is there any way to fix this with an adjustment? or do I have to change the gears? Thanks a lot.

Shavings = bad.
Sticky pinion = potential for bad.

I'd strongly recommend you have someone knowledgeable take a look at that before internal pieces break or freeze up at highway speeds.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Now should I take the diff off the truck and bring it to someone, rather than drive it there? What I dont understand is that everything inside is tight , there isnt any loose bearings. thanks

Ok, got this situation all figured out! Talked to a buddy which referred me to a man who can fix me up. Now will a 90 4.0 H.O. have the same gears as my 87 4.0 . If so I will rebuild my 44 properly with a locker over the winter, what are some recommendations on lockers. Thanks

Back