• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winch ?'s

kmanxj5050

NAXJA Forum User
Ok my gf is buying me a winch for my bday. I have planned on getting one when i built my bumpers. I have recievers front and rear. I want to put it on a basket, so i can use it in front or back(go out alot by myself).

Does anybody else do this? And i want to use those quick disconnect things(for lack of a better term). Like what they use on forklifts and battery chargers. Should run power to the front and back or just. Make an extra long wire to run to the back when needed?

Any input is appreciated.

thanks guys

And i want to use those quick disconnect things(for lack of a better term). Like what they use on forklifts and battery chargers.

Anderson connectors?

I'm planning on doing the same thing. I haven't decided yet, but I may go with a second battery in the back.

my winch was a multi mount...scored it for cheep but the guy didnt include the battery side wiring... so my buddy that works on forklifts hooked me up with the plug so i could wire it in...but i permanently mounted mine...

i figured if i needed to be winched back i would just snatch block it

Another thing to think about; with a reciever mounted cradle, all of the pulling force is concentrated on one bolt or lock pin. Make sure you have a class 3 or 4 reciever and pin, just to be safe. It would be a shitty day if your entire winch went flying.

Another thing to think about; with a reciever mounted cradle, all of the pulling force is concentrated on one bolt or lock pin. Make sure you have a class 3 or 4 reciever and pin, just to be safe. It would be a shitty day if your entire winch went flying.

Receiver mounts are also designed for straight pulling, ie: no side pulls. ;) Food for thought.

How strong do you think your winch is? No way you are gonna break a hitch pin.
Murphy shows up when you think you've got all your junk sorted out and nothing could possibly go wrong. Then Murphy slaps you in the back of the head. I don't like Murphy.:soapbox:

Try these.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/72006_XX_PG.htm
I found these when I was looking to hook up my Jeeps.
It's good for multiple vwhicles, too.

those seem pretty pricey. Seems like you could find them somewhere for half the price that just dont say warn.

And i dont do many side pulls mostly out of mud holes and such. we dont have any rocks or anything in michigan:dunce:

I prefer TWECO connectors by far! I usually mount the under a spring loaded liscense plate holder.Way better connection!
BTW,they are polarized,so no issues there!

Last edited:
Receiver mounts are also designed for straight pulling, ie: no side pulls. ;) Food for thought.

I would be disappointed if I could only tow my trailer in a straight line!

Every time I turn a corner while towing, I'm essentially doing a side pull.
The Class rating applies to all directions.

The Society of Automotive Engineers has defined four classes of trailer hitch, based on the weight of the trailer and its cargo (the Gross Towed Weight Rating, GTWR).

Receiver hitches put equal force on both sides of the vehicle both a seperate chasis venicle or the unibody (XJ) vehicle unless you have a poorly design and flexing receiver hitch. If that were not true, all tow vehicles would have suffered catostropic failure every time a corner is encontered.
The hooks that are OEM issued on the front of the XJ however could and would exert more force on one side of the vehicle in a side pull.

oh yeah i can get snatch blocks for free so i will have more than one (gf's dad runs a towing business) and my reciever are built in too my bumpers.

Make sure your bumper is secured better than just the stock mounting point then.

Bumper receivers are not Class rated. Look into bumper mounting plates like the ones JCR Offoad sells.

u r lucky man i told my girl i wanted a winch for xmas and she laughed at me. she said why dont you want something cool like an XBOX... i think its time for an upgrade lol

Back