• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Parking/Dash Light fuse blowing

RockyCodeHead

NAXJA Forum User
Howdy :wave1:

For the last month, I have had a condition on the rig where the parking / dash lights fuse keeps blowing. I replace it and can drive just fine, it won't blow, until the next time I go to drive the rig and the fuse will be blown again. :bawl:

This has gotten really frustrating and I finally narrowed it down. Here's my scenario; I replace the fuse, put the key in the ignition and as soon as the key bottoms out (which closes a switch in the steering column), the fuse pops. I suspect my headlight buzzer is bad.

I want to pull it, but there are two possibilities and I want to pull the right thing....

The truck is an '87 XJ. On the left side of the fuse panel there is a black box looking thing about 2" x 5/8" with two small 1/2" dia. circular protrusions on the side. The other is on the lower right, it's a metal casing about 1.5" x 1/2" with two electrical contacts off the top of it. Neither the '88 FSM wiring diagram illustrations nor the Chiltons illustrations show these two objects, so I am not sure which one I want to pull.

Anyone know which is the headlight buzzer?
Thanks!
Rob

Ive got a 88, bought it new...in 1988. Dont remember it having a headlight "buzzer". Maybe mine hasnt worked in years and Ive forgotten about it.

Are you sure about the buzzer?

My front r/h running light keeps blowing fuses...but only if I put a bulb in the socket.

ptf18

Well, I determined which was the buzzer, I removed it and ran through my test procedure... and the fuse still blows when I put the key in the ignition.

To address the issue, I removed the plastic switch insert within the steering column (the key sensor) and the problem is resolved, but I still have an underlying issue that I know may crop up and bite me at some point!

Back