• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

36 inch mickey's T and the D30

Cipey

NAXJA Forum User
A burnt out F-150 came in last weekend sitting on mickey thompson 36 inch x14.50 x15. the rims are nice allume's with great back spacing. althought one front rim has to be cleaned up due to the fire and that tire is also beat. but the 3 others are almost new, looking. looked like a mall crawler.

i have a 6.5 inch lift, 33's on my d30 and alloy shafts...MM hubs. Yukon 4.56 gears. rear has 8.8 with stock axle and powertraxx locker.

am i asking for trouble with 36's? moderate wheeling on muddy/gravel trails?

need opinions...ans suggestions.

Thankx

Cipey

F150s have a 5x5 1/2" bolt pattern, XJs have a 5x4 1/2" pattern. Lots of guys out there are running 35"s with a d30 so what's another inch? Get some wheels & run them untill you break & then upgrade to Ford axles. You'll already have the right wheels.

i say go for it. i ran 35s on a locked d30 for over a year and never broke anything. a 36X14.50 is a lot of tire though.

you can a) get some lug adapters, and run the ford wheels, or get new wheels. id probably get the adapters since theyll each cost about the same, but you wont have to pay for mounting and balancing again

You're going to kill balljoints and steering with a tire that wide, carry spares (and the tools to use them), be prepared to change them often.

Check the bolt pattern on the wheels, around 2000 ford went to a metric 5 lug pattern on f150's that you may not be able to get an adapter for.

I run 36" IROKS on a d30 with a lockrite. Only broken two factory axles one 290 and one 260 both were more stupidity on my part than the axle being to weak

I run 36" IROKS on a d30 with a lockrite. Only broken two factory axles one 290 and one 260 both were more stupidity on my part than the axle being to weak

His tires are also 14.50s. That's a hell of a lot of meat.

The 30 can handle 36's so long as they aren't too wide or too sticky, the more grip you have the more stress on the axles/u-joints/R&P, more opt to break. Not to mention the need for upgraded steering and brakes too.

Muddy gravel trails won't have too much traction so you should be alright. Like said carry spare ball joints, if you blow a shaft just turn out your hubs and head out in 2wd.

-Alex

Back