• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Angry Sparrows?

93XJ2drSport

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, lets start from the beginning, About a year ago, I rebuilt the front driveline on my 93 XJ because it was making the noise described as "angry sparrows". Put it back in and it was fine for a few months, then I started hearing this whining/moan sound as I slow down and come to a stop....so I pulled the driveline out, noise gone now while driving, did this back and forth a few times,hasta ended up taking D-line to a D-line shop, had them make sure it was sraight and balanced, put it back in again, noise still there....Frustrated, I pulled the D-line and have been driving with out it for the last couple months, absolutely no noise....So I put the D-line back in a couple days ago, noise is back.....What other possible causes are there for this other than the D-line, the front end and pinion yolk are turning whether the D-line is in or out while driving,....What about a bearing or something in the transfer case.....Just curious if anyone else has experienced anything like this

I remember that thread.

Did you try a different drive line? Perhaps you have a dry u-joint or ball/socket in the Double Cardan assembly.

My rig had a low speed squeek, but only at low speeds. Turned out to be a bad u-joint in the front drive line.

Perhaps you have a dry ...Double Cardan assembly.
I replaced nine with a greasable unit. I don't remember any sparrows but I was getting a high freq. vibe from it.

I replaced nine with a greasable unit. I don't remember any sparrows but I was getting a high freq. vibe from it.
Yea, at the beginning of all this, I completely rebuilt the entire driveline with greasable spicer u-joints and ballcentering joint. the "angry sparrows" refers to a thread from a while back that described the sound that the ball centering joint in the middle of the constant velocity joint makes when it goes bad. ...You can do a search on that, has a lot of good info on that topic.

pinion bearing, go under there, grab yoke and try to wiggle up and down side to side and in and out. if you have anything other than rotation, time to look into pinion bearing(s)

pinion bearing, go under there, grab yoke and try to wiggle up and down side to side and in and out. if you have anything other than rotation, time to look into pinion bearing(s)
Yea, it's lifted about 4 inches, but it has been at this height for 6 years and I just had a good shop change my gear ratio front and back about 2 years ago, which would have replaced all the bearings in the front carrier, including pinion bearings. Besides, the front end, including pinion yolk is turning while driving even if the driveline is out. ...This noise goes away when I take the driveline out, comes back when I put it back in.....What about a bearing in the transfercase front yolk?...It would not be turning when the driveline was out.:dunno:....I am ready to just take it to my local 4x4 shop, but they will probably not hear the noise and just ask "what noise"

Back