• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yacolt Burn Project

BPB

NAXJA Forum User
For those of you who don't know there is an ORV area in the works for area between Larch and the Washougal power lines. I recieved this e-mail today from Jessica with DNR. I figured that I would pass on the information.

Hi Ben,
Hope you are doing well today. Thank you so much for your inquiry! We are currently in the process of creating a 10 year plan for the expansion of recreational opportunities in the Western part of the Yacolt Burn State Forest (Larch Landscape). We have been in the process for almost 1 year, and have been working with a committee of volunteers representative of all use types who are doing a fantastic job helping us create the plan. During this process the things that we have educated the group about, and need to consider, are: suitable locations for trails (ie: biological, geological, and DNR land management considerations) and financial capacity/constraints for trail and facility building and long term maintenance of these new areas. We are currently in the phase where we are gathering the input of our committee members about what they would like to see out there in the forest, with these considerations in mind, and combining ideas into 3 alternate choices open to further edit and input by the group. The 4x4 community has strong representation on this committee, with 2 of the 11 members being affiliated with Pistons Wild and Pacific Northwest 4x4 Association. We look forward to completing the plan in December. Our timelines after that are to take the completed plan to DNR Executive Management and state Legislature to get their approval, which we may receive as early as next spring, or as late as winter 09-2010 (this timeline is out of our hands). After we receive approval, that’s when we can begin our implementation phase. This phase will begin with us seeking funding through grants and user group support to begin building the new trails and facilities outlined in the plan. That’s when we will be looking to groups to help us with volunteer efforts to get boots on the ground to start constructing new places to play.
The best way to get involved with the future volunteer construction and maintenance projects is to connect with the Pistons Wild or the Pacific Northwest 4x4 Association. I have cc’d our representative committee members, Crystal and Bill, on this email if you would like to connect with them directly. They’ll keep you plugged in to what’s going on. Also, if you haven’t already done so, I would like to encourage you to complete the recreation planning survey and give us your input about what you would like to see in the Yacolt! If you were at the Cruise-In yesterday, chances are you completed it there. If not, you can do it online at www.dnr.wa.gov.
Also, if you were at Woody’s yesterday, I’d like to take this opportunity to thank you for your support of this project. That was a really great event, and I was so happy to have been invited to participate and provide answers to questions exactly like this one. This email may even be moot now, as we may have spoken already. However, it never hurts to have the information, so that you can pass it along to your friends!
Feel free to contact me if you have further questions, or get connected with our 4x4 committee representatives! I can be reached at the contact information listed below.
Thanks again for your questions and your support!
Sincerely,
Jessica Kimmick
Recreation Manager
Pacific Cascade Region
WA DNR
Cell: 360-852-3390
Email: [email protected]

Re: Yacolt BUrn Project

this is good news, i didnt make it to the cruise in but i still want to take that survey. cant seem to find it on there site, do you have a direct link?

Filled out. Thanks Ben

I filled it out

Sent mine in a few days ago.

It might be kind of nice to have some trails to run that are less than 10 minutes away. Hopefully this project will clean up the area, as well as bring more positive use.

I received another email from Jessica with DNR. just wanted to pass it along.

Hi Ben,

Hope you are well. I wanted to let you know that I accidentally lied to you in that email I sent on the 13th. I was under the impression that we had to get Legislature’s approval for the Yacolt Recreation Plan. We don’t- we just need to get it from DNR Executive Management.

So, I just wanted to let you know that and apologize if I led you to believe something that’s untrue! Please pass along that retraction to the folks with whom you may have shared that information.

Thank you so much,

Jessica

Keep sending in those surveys

Back