• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gasahol=Ethanol.. not good according to Jeep

Wallymander

NAXJA Forum User
Gasahol.JPG

the 1987 MJ i bought had the original owners manual in the "glove" box. How cool is that?
So upon thumbing through it, they speak of "Gasahol" which was the first attempt to pass off ethanol to the citizens of the US. IN this very manual it stated occasional use shouldnt cause issues. It does, however state not to use "gasahol" only.
Interesting, no?

I can see why they specifically mentioned Methanol, that stuff it one of the most corrosive alcohol based fuels. I've seen tygon line that the RC car nitro/methanol blend fuels have melted from the inside out. It may have been almost ok with "corn whiskey", but wood alcohol is bad stuff and corrosive to most materials.

The page prior to this one that i, of course didnt scan, defines gasahol as
90% gasoline
10% Ethanol (Grain Alcohol)

Thats what i neglected to scan.

My '88 Cherokee says the same thing in the manual.

Fast forward to 2008, and after 6 years and 65,000 miles of running 10% ethanol blends since bringing the Jeep to Minnesota, the only fuel system issue I've had was a leaky injector which was more an issue of the old injector design.

Non issue for my Jeep anyways. Always burn the cheapest 87 octane I can find and change the fuel filter every now and then...

For what its worth, all regular gasoline in Minnesota is a 10% blend. Been that way since the late '90s, and we used a 10% blend in the wintertime long before that.

When gasohol first came out it was eating the import fuel systems for lunch, we are talking the whole system from the plastic tanks to the injectors. Then sometime in the mid 90's there was a run of Jeep gas tanks that were not of the correct plastic and they were literally dissolving and pumping this nasty black plastic which seized the fuel pumps. Had a co-worker who had this problem, 3 fuel pumps in 3 days, after his repair guy finally called jeep to ask WTF, finally jeep quietly shipped the repair shop a new pump and gas tank then reimbursed him for his expenses like towing 3 times. He had either a 95 or 96 XJ.

Except 96 & earlier fuel tanks are metal. No argument on gasohol disolving plastic though, I'm just picking nits.

Nope, 95 and 96 are both plastic. I have a 95 sitting out in my driveway right now that belongs to my sons girlfriend, it's plastic.

Go figure. I have two 95s in my driveway & they both have metal tanks. One had the plastic stone shield, it now sports a large dent & the other has the factory skid plate. I replaced the fuel pump in that one & it's also metal for sure.

Yeah, any XJ before 97 that I have seen has metal tanks. Including my 95. And any pre 97 XJ at the junkyard, which I have seen many of.

This includes the 15 gallon (4 cyl) and 20 gallon (I6) tanks. Of course they are essentially the same tank with a different vent level (what a scam lol!)

I freakin hate gasohol. You make less power, get worse gas mileage and make food prices go up. The ONLY reasonably good thing is that you can get a slightly higher octane rating for the same price as regular. But even that doesn't matter for us 4.0 owners except for those of us with a -0- decked block.

Nope, 95 and 96 are both plastic. I have a 95 sitting out in my driveway right now that belongs to my sons girlfriend, it's plastic.
Sorry Rich, but they're metal on '96 and prior.

tank_skid.jpg

My 96, during skid install.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

They've got a plastic shroud around the tank on earlier models - pretty much worthless against rocks but effective at keeping minor road debris from damaging the tank. I left mine in the driveway when I installed the skid, but I understand it can be left in place and sandwiched between the skid and tank if desired.

http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/tankskid.html

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Only pure gas for the Raptor!!!:patriot:

I seem to recall reading in the paper that certain areas dictate ethanol usage-something to do with the seasonal fuel blends? I only buy fuel at two stations these days, and I don't see anything mentioning ethanol content on either (although I've seen that in the past at others). Anyone fluent on the specific fuel formulas?

Back