• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

winches 4 recovery rig

i have heard alot of good about mile marker, but here is ware i get tripped up in the hole thing. WARN is local. i will by local before anything else. at least i try to. the warn will never let you down and if by some strainge accurance it does you can take it down to them in person and thay will fix you right up. or so sais a bunch of people i know personaly.

Warn makes the best most reliable winch. Pricey but best warranty and reputation. Will not let you down (or so most people say). If price is the determinant Superwinch makes a good alternative somewhat cheaper. Ramsey is right there with it but more high tech and the problems associated with high tech gear in the backwoods. Cheapest winch you can get is probably Chicago Electric from Harbor Freight. I have seen mixed reviews but it held up with Warn and Superwinch and it's way cheap. Depends on how you plan on using it. Do your research and pick wisely.

Are you sure you NEED a winch?
How are you going to mount it? (Many winch mounts will not handle more than 8K)

Are you sure it needs to be a 12K winch? It doesn't sound like you are towing out your tow rig.

Have you considered used?

I think Warn makes great winches, but on the trails this week I saw way more Warns that didn't work than anything else (by a long shot!!).

Michael

I have a buckstop front bumper with integrated winch mount. Www.buckstop.com I like it. I think that I would be pulling out my self in the winter snow wheeling. I'd take the tahoe for that. I don't know of I need a 12,000lb for that though. I think my tahoe weighs about 7500lb. I heard that you should have a pull rating of 1.5x your vehicle weight for your winches. Not sure if that is true but it's a nice asurance.

I have a buckstop front bumper with integrated winch mount. Www.buckstop.com I like it. I think that I would be pulling out my self in the winter snow wheeling. I'd take the tahoe for that. I don't know of I need a 12,000lb for that though. I think my tahoe weighs about 7500lb. I heard that you should have a pull rating of 1.5x your vehicle weight for your winches. Not sure if that is true but it's a nice asurance.

Good info, this helps significantly. Yes, 1.5X the weight of the vehicle is a good general plan. Obviously the more "stuck" you can get it (bigger lift, tires, and more technical 4x4) the bigger it should be.
1. I would actually weight your Tahoe loaded the way it would usually be loaded.
2. I would also check to make sure your bumper will handle the size winch you want.
3. Also check to see what winch "bolt patterns" the bumper is set up with, this might limit your options.
4. Then buy the best winch you can afford for the purpose.

Michael
I

Warn is local. Both of they're Warehouses are in Clackamas. They have the best reputation aswell.

I've seen more Jeeps fail on the trail than anything else, too. ;)

I didn't see many Jeeps fail, but I did see several drivers fail :laugh3:
(NWChapter excluded obviously).
Michael

Back