• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

electric fan or starter causing this?

Hurley

NAXJA Forum User
Jeep wouldn't start this morning, all i get is clicking.

All power sources (lights, heat, stereo etc) work, but it won't turn over.

Starter? or Alternator?

Also when I popped my hood i found my electric fan hanging on by only the wiring -- would this cause the truck not to start?
(like no screws hanging it in place, its just sitting there.)

ohhh yeah and 89 cherokee 4.0 L auto aw4 ... thanks!

The elec fan isn't at all connected to the drive line, so no. Either remove it altogether or slide it in to the bottom tabs and attach it with bolt/nut or the original hardware.

As far as the starter, climb under and tap, a good solid tap or three (not whallop) it with a screwdriver handle or the like. Try the key. Tap it again. If it starts, it's the stater beginning to take a crap. Replace it. You can also jump the terminals on the solonoid. If you buy a new starter it should come as a unit with a solenoid.

Also, check your battery connections, as in take 'em off, shine 'em up, a little vaseline or dielectric grease, and tighten 'em. If you have a DVM you can test your own.

You can also have your starter or battery tested for free at AutoZone if you're so inclined.

The elec fan isn't at all connected to the drive line, so no. Either remove it altogether or slide it in to the bottom tabs and attach it with bolt/nut or the original hardware.

As far as the starter, climb under and tap, a good solid tap or three (not whallop) it with a screwdriver handle or the like. Try the key. Tap it again. If it starts, it's the stater beginning to take a crap. Replace it. You can also jump the terminals on the solonoid. If you buy a new starter it should come as a unit with a solenoid.

Also, check your battery connections, as in take 'em off, shine 'em up, a little vaseline or dielectric grease, and tighten 'em. If you have a DVM you can test your own.

You can also have your starter or battery tested for free at AutoZone if you're so inclined.

X2

Try battery and starter first.If your fan wires are bare from hanging, and were possibly grounding out while driving, that could have drained your battery.
search for testing the battery with a DMM (digital multi meter) youll need to have bwtween 12 to 14 VDC on the battery.

OH i dont reccomend removing the fan.either fix or replace.

Last edited:
the electirc fan was resting on the drive belt though.... preventing it from properly operating ... so thatswhy i question if it was affecting it

Resting on, or jammed in? Jammed in would keep it from turning, resting on would do damage to the elec fan but shouldn't keep it from turning over.

X2

OH i dont reccomend removing the fan.either fix or replace.

Sorry 'bout that. I just meant temporarily. If you can't mount it up properly today, remove it until you can, like tomorrow, so that it doesn't flop around in there when you DO get it fired up. It does need to be in there, just mounted securely.

Any progress yet??

Back