• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I want head...ew not that kind!

SoreRunner

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a 1989 Cherokee back in May of 2008. From the test drive to now I have always thought the noise I was hearing was exhaust. The noise is similiar to an exhaust leak, very loud on acceleration and behind the driver side dash.

Well I have diagnosed it...

It's all lifter noise. Rat-tat-tat what do you think of that?

So 1989 Jeep Cherokee w/ a Grand Cherokee 4.0L. Should I:

-Replace the motor?
-Replace the head with ANY head?
-Replace the head with another Grand Cherokee head?
-Stroke the motor?
-Rebuild the motor and head?
-Rebuild the head?
-Duct it and F*** it?

All correct recommendations are accepted...lol...btw thank you!

:read:

Some would rebuild but I would just replace. Engines are cheap and a swap isn't any harder. Also with the new engine you can replace all the seals with it out. Start off fresh

I think it sounds plenty healthy. the tap isnt loud enough to be "abnormal" its probably a loose lifter. if you pull the head, just replace the whole motor, its easier, and if replaced with a decent motor, its cheaper in the long run.

Whats wrong with my motor? Why should I just pull it out and throw it away. I dont mind getting dirty... Wouldn't a simple head replacement do the job? Or even a head rebuild? Sorry but NW-XJ-Scott, your wrong, I've been comparing mine to your rig, yours are fine, mine in this cold weather, the oil is having more issues reaching the upper end of the motor. The tapping noise is severally loud and needs to be addressed very soon.

Last edited:
I've gotten 2 XJ's that this same problem was going on. First one didnt sound that bad till it put a fist size hole in the side and the second was like that for years the kid said. Both I put an HO motor in. Glad I went that way. New seals all around

its alot of work to replace a head, and your just asking to open a can of worms by taking the top half of the motor off, your likely going to find yourself wanting to do bottom end work after seeing the pistons. im sure the bottom end is fine, but still. your talking about work that will take a weekend. why not just run it till its dead and replace with a HO motor? you would be suprised, a motor swap takes less time then a head swap.

EDIT; If your having top end oil starvation, thats most likely an Oil pump issue?

its alot of work to replace a head, and your just asking to open a can of worms by taking the top half of the motor off, your likely going to find yourself wanting to do bottom end work after seeing the pistons. im sure the bottom end is fine, but still. your talking about work that will take a weekend. why not just run it till its dead and replace with a HO motor? you would be suprised, a motor swap takes less time then a head swap.

EDIT; If your having top end oil starvation, thats most likely an Oil pump issue?

What me said!

There's always totalled cherokee's around that people are just trying to get rid of. You could find one for like $200-300 and may still hear it run before you get it. Check craigslist religiously.
Alot of the time it's cheaper to buy the whole Jeep than just a motor then you have a bunch of extra parts for your needs. When done just call a local recycler guy (I have one) and they will usually take it for free if you have a title.

When done just call a local recycler guy (I have one) and they will usually take it for free if you have a title.
Some if you are lucky will even pay you for it. They scrap it out and with the prices of metal lately... I have one I am about to take and he said I would get about $200-300 for it...

All the XJ's I've had were less than $300 and I've parted them out for more that that so the motors are free that I've gotten. Also gives me an outlet from the wife and kids. I've evan gotten free XJ's from CL 94 with 176K on it and it just need a MAP sensor. IMO I would do an engine swap any day over rebuilding a head

Back