• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 Disassembly

DanHfmn

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, pretty simple question here...

I put that '92 27 spline 8.25 under my '01 cherokee and I believe I should replace the wheel/carrier bearings. The 8.25 is similiar to the 35 in that you pop the cover, remove the 4 bolts to remove the carrier. Somewhere in there you remove the pin to drop out the spider gears...

One question, when I was putting new fluid in the 8.25, I notice a tab looking piece in each side on one of the carrier bolts, what the heck is that?

I can't mess anything up taking the carrier out on one of these right? It won't mess up the gearing or anything will it?

How about those bearings, can I get them out with a slide hammer, or is different equipment need to replace them? Difficult?

Thanks!

Last edited:
The wheel bearings are easy enough to do....just did mine.Get timken bearings.
Unless you know how to setup gears I don't recommend installing new carrier bearings yourself.
Those bolts are adjusters.....

Yeah I was just reading about that, wild....

So did you get the puller from the parts store? Just tap the new ones in with wood/socket?

Thanks!!

Some crud fell in the "vent hole" where the brake line junction mounts on the drivers side when I was picking up the axle from it's old home. I guess when I have the drivers side bearing/seal off I could flush gear oil down that tube to try and "wash" out any crud...

The carrier bearings, as was already said, can be changed but the backlash and carrier preload will need to be reset. To pull the shafts, remove the cover and then pull out the center shaft. After that, you can have someone push on the ends of the axle shafts so you can remove the c-clips. Then just slide out the shafts. A puller of some sort is needed to remove the outer bearings. After the bearings are out, you can clean out the axle tubes. A good tool to use is a piece of threaded rod with a large washer bolted between two nuts on one end.

A slide hammer works best for removing the axle bearings. I use a set of seal/bearing installers to put the bearings and seals back in with.

Don't mess with the carrier bearings without some special tools and knowledge on the 8.25.

I've got a slide hammer for pulling out axle shafts, I guess there's an adapter for seals. I'll look to see what autozone has to rent out.

I've got a slide hammer for pulling out axle shafts, I guess there's an adapter for seals. I'll look to see what autozone has to rent out.

Autozone has the seal/bearing race installers for loan, its the same set I own.

You won't need the slide hammer to pull the shafts just "carefully" remove the center shaft pin/bolt, remove the center shaft then slide each axle inward and remove the "C" clips, pull the shafts out.

The slide hammer can be used to pull the bearings/seals all at one time, they will pop out after about 10 carefully placed whacks. Use the seal/race installer to drive in the new bearings and then the new seals.

Don't mess with the carrier bearings without some special tools and knowledge on the 8.25.
Why do you say that?The 8.25" is one of the easiest axles I know of to work on,gotta love the "collars"vs"press on/off multiple times w/ shims"

Why do you say that?The 8.25" is one of the easiest axles I know of to work on,gotta love the "collars"vs"press on/off multiple times w/ shims"
he probably said that because if you don't know what you're doing, the adjusters can get cross-threaded and then you're screwed. I agree for backlash adjustment, it's cake, but you can pop a d-30/35/44 dif.out and back in without messing anything up. The C-8.25 has to be re-set. Yes?

I know with the 35/8.8 you can pop the carrier our no problem, even d30 right?

I haven't got a clue about backlash/gear setups and I don't want to learn right now.

I thought the bearings/racers fell out with the carrier when you took it out? Not correct I guess?

On any diff the outers will fall out, but with the 8.25 you will have to readjust the backlash because it does not have shims. The D-35, D-30, 8.8 does have shims and backlash will stay set.

Setting the backlash on a 8.25 is no issue if you have a dial indicator and the adjustment tool.

Good deal, thanks guys!

Side note, do you need to pack the wheel bearings or are the lubed by the gear oil? I always assumed it was just the gear oil, just didn't know fer sure.

Back