• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

??? for those with 5spd, 31's and 4.10

MPETESS10

NAXJA Forum User
for those of you 5spd guys with 4.10's and 31's what rpms do you trun on the highway at certain speeds? aka what rpm at 65mph? 70? etc if you drive conservatively how low of of an RPM can you shift at around town without chugging.

of course this question can only be answered honestly if your speedo is correct or you have a way of knowing what your TRUE speed is

I've got 3.73's, 31's and a 5-speed and I usually shift around 2K. The 8.8 came with those gears and I found a set for the front for 30 bucks so I didn't go for the 4.10. It defiantly feels peppier and makes passing easier.

~Alex

my 89 5sp, 31's, and 4.10 gearing runs at 2500rpms going 65. i have the correct speedo gear.

i like the setup, but gearing is a little too deep for some that have driven my jeep. also remember most 31's are not true 31". i would not hesitate to go with 32's and 4.10, but if i ever went with 33's, i would prefer 4.56 or even 4.88.

at 35-45 mph, i can use 4th without chugging the engine.

definitely has power in fifth gear on the highway and no more down shifting going up hills, as was needed when i had 3.07 and 31's.

well I have the 31's and the 3" lift over the winter I plan on getting an 8.8 and another dana 30. my g/f has an 05 TJ 6spd 4.0 with 30x9.50's and I love it and I thought 3.73's in my lighter XJ would be just as nice even on 31's. but now after considering I am adding JCR stage 1 sliders very soon as well as an olympic front bumper and factory front skid not to mention tools and stuff I take on trail rides AND I tow a small pop-up camper sometimes. I am thinkin the extra gearing wont really hurt me too much if I went 4.10's. I am really just tryin to compare what I have now stock and what it would be like with 31's and 4.10's. I do however do ALOT of highway driving in my jeep so fuel economy is a concern. but alot of my hwy driving is thru the mountains and I hate driving my STOCK jeep in the mountains. with 3.07's I need to be doing 70-75 just to make it up some of the hills without downshifting simply because I need the RPMs to be over 2000 to stay in OD.

thanks for your input it was very helpful in my searches.

Back