• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition question...

TommyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone.
First post here, and I thought I would start it off with something that I ahve been wondering about.
I have a 1992 XJ Larado. I have been reading about the history of XJs and I came upon an idea, or more of a question.
In the 200 years Jeep put in a disturbutorless ignition. That alone added some HP and TQ. I have wondered if it is possible to do a swap from a disturbutor ignition to the disturbutorless ignition. If possible, has anyone done it and have a good write up on it.
Thanks, this has been bothering me for awhile.

i have been interested in seeing if it can be done. i would imagine if you had the ignition module and the sensor that replaces the distributor then i cant see why not.

Good ? I've never considered nor heard that the distributor-less engine is more powerful. I do suppose that there would be less load on the cam and possibly more energy in the spark. You would more than likely need a pcm from the 2000/01 in order to fire the coils. 200 years, huh?

Last edited:
Wow I would have thought that some one would have had done it before or heard of someone doing it. I guess it doesnt really seem like a hard process to do. What about the ECU? any change to that?

Anything is possible if you want it bad it enough. But, for the Hp gain that you'd see (if any), it could be achieved easier and with less headache through other mods. I have a 2000 xj with coilpacks and I'd rather have a distributor. The combination of the coilpacks going bad and the Camshaft Position Sensor needing to be replaced is why I say this. I must admit though.. Coilpacks are nice if you do any deep water stuff.

Back