• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New to Torque wrenchs

mavrick

NAXJA Forum User
So i have a torque wrench that has markings that shows 20-200 inches and right next to it 35 to 185 pounds. The intervals are labeled at 30. The handle that turns and adjusts the torque has markings 1-10. I think I know how to set the settings but I would like someone to explain. The only reason why I'm concerns is the first time I go and use it I to want to over tighten or snap a bolt.

Which model? There can be some difference. Also, have you RTFM yet?

Sounds like you've got a variety of "micrometer" torque wrench (you turn a collar or the grip on the handle to set it, and it will "click" in your hand when you get there,) and they are rather easy to use. Between those scales you see, there should be a vertical line (runs along the length of the shaft) that is the indicator for the collar markings - which gets you in between the marked graduations on the shaft. So if you want to get, say, 22 pound-feet; you'd turn it to "20" then two marks on the handle past that to get 22.

Conversion from pound-inches to pound-feet is a simple factor of twelve - 12 pound-inches = 1 pound-foot (when I give torque specs, values under 20 pound-feet/240 pound-inches I usually give in both measures.)

Ideally, you want to use a torque wrench near the middle of its range.

We can probably give you more information once we know more about the wrench you have, just to handle specifics. But, you'll find the micrometer-style wrench easy to use, once you get used to it.

Its from Harbor Freight. Pittsburgh 1/2" CLICK STOP SQUARE TORQUE WRENCH.

This one? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=239. I see it go on sale for $9.99 occasionally. I have a friend with one. Just for grins I checked it and it was about 25% off (read way low). He took it back and the replacement was even worse. Cheap piece of Chinese junk. I convinced him to spend a few bucks more and get a better brand. My Husky from Home Depot is within 4%.

As for the markings, the 35 to 185 markings are ft-pounds, which would make the 35-200 newton*meters (N*M).

Back