• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BROKE DOWN ON THE ROAD TO MOAB

HaleYes

NAXJA Forum User
ILLXJ just called me. He was driving along and nasty noises started followed by a lound bang. He pulled over to find that his bellhousing on the AW4 had broken and his starter was dangling. It did not kill the jeep, it's still running. If he shuts it off or it dies, he'd dead in the water.

He's just east of Topeka, KS. He's going to need an AW4 Bellhousing.

He asked me to post his number.
If you can assist in any way, his number is : SIX ONE EIGHT -508-1391

He was going to remove the starter, tie up the wires and continue on headed for UT.

Unfortunately 1st of many we'll hear about. Hope someone from MWC or NAC sees this and can assist.

We should be going through there tomorrow, but he's going to keep driving?

I don't have what he needs...I'll see if mac does.

If he gets close to Cheyenne, we maybe able to help. Don't have a spare AW4 lying about but have the TIG if he has enough pieces to get it back together...

Bob

Wow, Deja-vu. Thats what happened to me when I drove out there back in 2001. It turned out that the CV in my 2 month old driveshaft failed, creating HUGE stress on the bellhousing. Mine broke in 5 or 6 pieces. I hope he can get it together and still make it out there.

A.

I thought of you when i read this Andy.

Haleyes. Jeepin has a Bellhousing in Debouque and in Denver if these would be of any help. But i'm sure theres gotta be someone passing by that can put ILLXJ on their trailer till they can locate a bellhousing more conveniently.

Bellhousing is on it's way from SoCal and will be there late Sat or sometime by mid day Sunday. Thanks go to Rabbit for providing it and FordGuy for hauling it up there.

Posted in the MWC forum:

Ok, talked to Jim and he's gonna detour down my way. I'll have the bellhousing sitting out on the porch for him (I imagine it'll be way early a.m. when he gets out here).

Sounds like Yellaheep is gonna got him hooked up.

Gotta love people across the country coming together to help a guy out. :rof:

Will be in Moab with your trans around 11:00-12:00 sunday. We will be staying at the adventure Inn on main street. My cell is 949-289-0099 or 949-637-1674
Rich

Good to hear there's a plan in place to get things sorted for him. I'll keep my fingers crossed that he makes it to the parts without further incident.

Unfortunately, thinking good thoughts is about all I can do (not only do I not have a bellhousing, but I'm up in Nebraska because I'm running 80-76-70), but I'll do that much for him.

Rob

Will be in Moab with your trans around 11:00-12:00 sunday. We will be staying at the adventure Inn on main street. My cell is 949-289-0099 or 949-637-1674
Rich

He's planning on using Remi's AW4.(I'm assuming that you're the delievery boy)

I'll get him your phone numbers. He's supposed to call me back when he finds a truck stop. I'll give him your numbers then.

THANK YOU!

Wow, Deja-vu. Thats what happened to me when I drove out there back in 2001. It turned out that the CV in my 2 month old driveshaft failed, creating HUGE stress on the bellhousing. Mine broke in 5 or 6 pieces. I hope he can get it together and still make it out there.

A.

Bingo. That may be his issue.
He had to swap driveshafts. The centering ball on the double cardan rear shaft failed as well. He had a spare to swap in.

Actually he'd be the delivery.... Guy ;) :D

Yeah, I guess so.

THANK YOU Remi.

I'll pay your registration at Winterfest if you'll show up. Big thanks to you and your delivery personnel.

He's planning on using Remi's AW4.(I'm assuming that you're the delievery boy)

I'll get him your phone numbers. He's supposed to call me back when he finds a truck stop. I'll give him your numbers then.

THANK YOU!
Damn. Glad you guys were able to hook him up. I'm not leaving here until tomorrow afternoon but let me know if I should go that way to pick up broken bits or anything.

Back