• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front axle seal tool question

Big_Al

NAXJA Forum User
I need to replace the seals in my dana 30. Picked up new seals but would like to know if someone could describe the seal driver. I can make one but need to know how long it needs to be. I'm guessing that they can be pulled buy just hooking them with something and yanking them out. Yes I searched first but found nada.... Thanks, Al

i used a 34 or 35 mm socket with a bunch of extentions so it got to the outside of the knuckle and hammered away. I don't remember which size it was but it's the one that fits snug into the tube.

x2 on the extensions and socket (or broom handle) for seating the new seals.

Just use a long screwdriver or prybar to tear the old seals out. Not like you care if they stay perfect or not!

I use PVC pipe, 3/4" I.D. if I remember correctly to drive them out and placed caps on the pipe both ends to drive them in. Its been a while since I have done any but one of my rigs needs a set now.

Me thinks you are talking about the inner seal on a disco 30....correct?

If so you need one of these...

Pick up a cheap seal driver set.
Get a 1/2" threaded rod.
Have at it.

Rev

Whoa.... I had no idea that the seals went in from the center if the diff. That makes this a whole different job. :(....Al

Its not that bad! Getting the carrier out can sometimes be a struggle and driving in the new seals can be difficult the first time you do them. I have a case spreader and it helps but I have used a "come-a-long" on the trail to pull the carrier with.

Buy a extra seal just in case you "bugger" one up.

Looks like I'll take on this task this weekend. Really doesn't look that bad once you know all that's involved. My brother-in-law told me that he replaced seals in a jeep once only to have the customer come back in a few months with seepage. He discovered mud wasp had built a nest in the vent hose and that was the original cause of the leak.(pressure) Now he says he always checks that first. I don't thik I'll be that lucky but, will take his advise.

Thanks to all who replied to this thread. You've been very helpful. I know that for the most part everyone here is like that......Al

When you put the new ones in you will be pressing them in towards the outside from the diff side. Make sure your socket is bigger than the inner lip of the seal that has the spring. I recommend removing the spring during installation just so you don't damage it. also put some permatex or dynatex gasket maker around the outside of the seal so it won't leak around the outside later. After your first seal is in you will need to run your threaded rod or pipe through it to press in the second seal. Do this carefully -- do not damage the first seal while installing the second one. Also you can use some crocus cloth to smooth over the surface of the axle that will contact the seal.

Mission accomplished.:) Thanks to all who replied. I book marked that site for future use. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be once I commited to the job. Al

Back