• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 XJ 4.0 TPS - ABS

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
Well i pulled the relay for my ABS light. Went to crank up the jeep and it worked. No more ABS light, well my check engine light is on and i did the key cycle trick and got the codes 12 and 24. which is the battery disco code and the TPS code. Well i have only driven the jeep once since i bought it (I did test drive it) and has been sitting since yesterday. Well i cranked it up today and when i would go give it gas, it would hesitate a little bit then sound normal...This sound like a TPS prob? might also check the plugs. Was just wondering though, by pulling the ABS relay, does that effect anything else other than the ABS?

also, then i was looking around for the TPS and found it and made sure it was nice and snug, so i wiggled it and pushed it in there real good. well then i wanted to start it up again, and when i did it turned over and then stalled, and now it won't turn over. it will just crank. Think maybe i messed with the TPS a little too much? or is it just my CPS just decided to go out 2 days after i bought the damn thing?

So i took apart the TPS and cleaned it up with a clean rag and blew air into it to get the dust out and re installed it and cranked it up and it sounded like it was getting ready to turn over but didn't, so i cranked it again this time with my pedal to the floor and it fired up and rpm got up to 3000 and then as it dropped back down it stalled. Sound like a bad TPS?

Sounds like it. Sounds like it is flooded as well, as the key to start a flooded vehicle that's fuel injected is to floor the gas pedal while cranking as it shuts off the injectors. If it were the CPS it wouldn't run at all, or would run until it got warm then shut right back down until it cooled off again.

Can you keep it running by keeping your foot on the gas after starting it with the pedal to the floor? When my TPS went bad, I didn't have to floor it, but I did have to bump the pedal to get it to run, and then keep my foot on the gas as there was no idle until the engine warmed up.

Try keeping your foot on it and see if after the engine warms up does the idle come back. It might have to stay warm for a bit before the idle comes back.

When did you get a 97 BTW? Still got the 88?

Whats up Tim. Yeah i just picked up a 97 yesterday. 130k and engine is CLEAN! trans fluid was still red and everything looked good. But the Check engine light came on yesterday when i went to go pick it up, but anyways, yeah i still got the 88. Im going to be transferring everything over to the 97 all this week and have it ready for URE on the 14 and 15 for fall break.
But im getting alot of mixed responses. Some are saying it is the IAC and some are saying its the TPS. Unfortunately i only have the cash for one or the other at the moment. Anyone know if i buy one and it doesn't fix it, if i can take it back to autozone and switch it out for the other one? there is only about 8 bucks difference in the price.

Sweet dude.....i'm taking mine up to Uwharrie this weekend...do some camping and wheelin....can't wait! My fall break are the same days as yours....hit me up and maybe we can meet up there for a bit one day.

As for the sensors, if the CEL is on try to get the code again. If I were home i'd hook my scanner up to it for you to see what's really going on.

Most parts places don't let you return sensors when they've been installed like that, as they're considered "used." However, if you've got a good relationship with the parts guy, and maybe after a little suckin up, he might let you. During the process of trying to get my buddy's 88 running, they tried a TPS and an Ignition Coil, both with no luck. Long story short it was the CPS, but the guy at Advance Auto let them return both the TPS and Coil.

Well i pray that it is not the CPS. I had mine (both) cps's go out on mine and the Crankshaft position sensor is a biatch to change, plus like you said, if it were the CPS i don't believe that it would even run, because i tried flooring my 88 when my CPS went out and it didn't do anything. So i think i might just go ahead and buy the TPS, since it was throwing the TPS code at me last night before the check engine light went off, and then just clean up the IAC real good and see what happens. worst case scenario is the TPS wasn't the prob and ill just go back up there and tell them that i bought the wrong sensor..since they both are on technically on the TB. So we'll see what happens.

Yeah man, like me and 4 of my buddies (2 of them just bought some Rubicons) are going up there prolly next monday or tuesday and wheel, but i have to change over all my suspension and everything in a week, plus go to school and work, so it should be fun! :)

TPS should do the trick..and it's easy enough to change.

What are you doing with the 88?

Cool deal....PM me the specs and whatnot and i'll keep an eye out for anybody who might be in the market for one.

Ok so i bought a new TPS from Vatozone and installed it and she fired right up. a little rough idle, so i gave it some gas to keep the RPM's up and then she idled fine. well then about 10 minutes later, i go to crank it up again, and she won't turn over, so i give it some gas and as long as i keep the rpm's up, she will run but as soon as i take my foot off the gas she stalls. so no what?

Ok so i unhooked the battery and let it sit for about half an hour. went to turn the key to the on position and now my check engine light is back on. So i cranked it up and gave it some gas and it was able to idle on its own, so i drove it up the street and back and let it sit till it got to operating temp and was able to get out of the car while it idled. So im gonna wait a little while and go back out there and see if it will start right back up for me again and pull the code from the check engine light.

EDIT: Just pulled the code. it gave me 25, which is for the Automatic Idle Speed, which im guessing is the IAC?

Last edited:
Need to know if the IAC is going to do the trick. Im having an Idle problem and it is the idle sensor and its also the code the check engine light is throwing me, but i just want to make sure before i throw another 45 bucks at the jeep. That will be 100 bucks in less than 2 days.

Back