• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Custom hitch pics

XJfire75

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I made a hitch for my XJ. I only spent $31 and used scrap steel other than the reciever tube I bought.

Made the mounting plates from 2"x3"x1/4" angle and main tube is 2"x2"x1/4" tubing with the 2 1/2" square reciever. Along with some 3/16" gussets and 1/4" gussets.

4- 1/2"-13x 1 1/2" bolts and 3- 12mm on the stock nut strip.
Heres the pics.

Think it'll hold up?
The hitch's main tube will only stick below the bumper 1" and the reciever tube sits flush against the taper of the bumper for a good tight fit.

Welded everything...twice LOL
rear-bumper-1.jpg

welding the stock mounts to the angle for a stronger bumper as well.
rear-bumper-2.jpg

Recessed the reciever into the 2"2"x1/4" main tube 1" and welded and gusseted all around. The weakest link will be the bolts...All 6 of them 1/2" ha
hitch.jpg

3/16" gussets 5"x5" welded inside and out. Slotted mounting holes for fine tuning the mounting. Worked out good.
hitch-2.jpg

Safety chain holes and 1/4" gussets. Welded once again front anc back and to the reciever tube up and down LOL
hitch-3.jpg

End result.
hitch-4.jpg

don't have pics of the mounting brackets I made... really just the same old 2x2 angle "in the frame rails" with stock hitch holes used for the bumper now too.
I just cut the "under frame rail" brackets off the stock hitch, welded mine "in the rail" brackets on and built the bumper around that.
Turned out ok, hitch is probably 4" above stock, also pushed out about 2" from stock.
Only thing was when I was welding the 2x2 square stock over the hitch, it pulled the ends down which gives it a bit of curve when you look at it from the back... but it just goes with the lack of pretty I already have going on this thing.

pics
n507916911_823101_7708.jpg
n507916911_823102_8071.jpg

The penetrated fine. I used a Miller 251 MIG. Had somehing like 395 and 20 I think. Little more than recommended 1/4". And like I said I welded most twice. I had to fill in the radiused edges of the 2"x2" tubing so I could get a good bead for the gussets. I didnt grind of the paint are ounf under side of the hitch tube(shown in pic) so thats why it looks more bubbly but it penetrated good and even better everythwhere else.

Your welds look slightly scary to me also. 20 volts on 1/4" is pretty cold but the WFS is pretty good. Also in some of the pics of your welds you didn't completely wrap your corners which could lead to problems.

Wrap the corners?

The gray primer meks the dipps stand out. Theres so way that thing will come apart. Its definately a lot stronger than the bolt together ones you buy.

I went slow and made sure it burned in good. I went back over some of it at 21.5 and 425 I believe. Thats more than hot enough.

I used to weld up receiver hitches in my prior trade. the welds that you have on yours are down right scary. I would recommend that you do not tow with what you have. If you do, you are accepting all legal responsibility for the integrity- or lack there of- your hitch.

From the pictures you posted, I can tell you that your travel speed was not consistent, your amperage was too low, and you failed to "tie in" your welds.

EDIT: I can tell by the shape of the weld, the pitting, the cold lap, the differing width, height and thickness of the bead, the craters in the weld, the obvious parts where you started and stopped the bead you were working on, etc. Just because you bought a weld machine doesn't mean your a welder!

When you ask "Think it'll hold up?" and people tell you that its sub par, then I think you should listen. If you didn't want us to tell you NO!, then why did you ask? Pull your head out of your ass and listen or accept the liability

:soapbox:

Oh, and nominated...:doh:

Last edited:
Seconded. For failing at welding, elementary grammar, and the English language. I’m glad you’re in GA.; I don’t want that thing crumbling with something in tow anywhere near me.

I've been taking welding class for a couple of years now. One thing I have learned is that when I ask for a critique of my work, I should do so with an open mind. I have found learning to be much easier when I don't know everything.

After I weld something, the first thing I want is for someone to critique the welds, no matter what it is. It's just the smart thing to do, especially when it involves any sort of load being placed on it or when structural integrity is essential to the part being fabricated.

I understand critiquing my work is good but not bashing.

Do yall honestly not thing that all the welds and gussets will not hold up to pulling a dirt bike and 4-wheeler? How much can you really tow with a unibodied XJ anyway?

I had 4 guys at work that have welded for 20+ years tell me that it would do fine and dandy. My dad did say I shouldve wrapped the corners and tried to have a more constant flow of the welds but that it would work.

I have only been welding for a short time but have learned and watched for a couple years. I didnt just buy a welder and call myself a welder.

And sorry about the grammar I was at work and was pressed for time. I just wanted to show yall my work since I havent seen any custom hitches on here. Glad yall like it.

The design is fine, it's just that from the welds, it looks like the bead is sitting in the joints and not actually penetrating the metal. Safety first.

I know it looks that way but it was honestly the primer made them stand out. Most of the welds have welds on top of them LOL.

I used a C pattern and watched it burn into both metals and when I stopped I shortly there after continued welding while it was still hot so it burnt together with the last bead.

There is a lot of weld on this thing and with the reciever tube being recessed into the 2'x2" tube with 1/4" plate backing it I dont know what I could pull to make it break.

But like I said Ill try pulling on something stationary and if it comes of with me pulling hard against it then I should be good consider Im not pulling much and will hardly ever be using it for recovery. Even then I think itll hold.

1/4" material with short circut transfer is not a good idea. Spray transfer would be much stronger. or use some FCAW-G for thicker materials. AWS frowns on short circut transfer because it doesn't put enough heat into the weldment. It's the only wire transfer that is not prequalified in D1.1. I bet your welds are pretty brittle.

really not scared about weld critique? put up some higher-res photo's and ask again? if its your welds, you will know for sure, if its the primer, someone MIGHT apologize and give you the stamp of approval.

also... why build a custom hitch when xj hitches (welded by professionals) are a dime a dozen?
i dont see any design departures other then the fuse you designed into yours.

also... why build a custom hitch when xj hitches (welded by professionals) are a dime a dozen?

I got mine for $11 at PnP

I got mine for $11 at PnP
i LITERALLY have 2 sitting behind my garage. if someone posted up locally, and asked nice id give em one!
personally, i didnt think the welds looked that bad, but im not a professional welder, like the few resident profesional welders naxja is lucky to have. but i would listen to them.

onto the good~! primer looks awesome, no black fingerprints or nothing!

Last edited:
Back