• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

actual gas mileage thread

i ran a text in my 92 xj and was so psyched for my results, i started my day at a specific gas station and pump, filled my tank and drove a 40 mile loop with about 40-50% freeway driving, came back to the exact same pump and topped it back off, then went home and used google maps to find outexactly how far i'd gone.

here's my specs

92 4dr 4.0 bored .30 over with comp cam (low end power), and everything else stock on motor, no boltons or exhaust, ax15, and 411 gears, 35 x15.50 tsl sx's and about a seven inch long arm kit, with fat-huge-ass bumpers and winch and sliders. i cruised at 2,100 rpm on the freeway in fifth gear (dont know how fast that is) and drove nice and easy around town (but faster than your granpa mind you)

it took 2.3 gallons to drive 39.8 miles, by my math thats 17.3 mpg!

although it was only 40 miles thats still a great ball park, in a week or two i will be switching back to my k and n cold air, bigger throttle body and purple horny glass pack with a hollow cat (i rarely drive it so don't tell me about emissions blah blah) and i'll run the route again and report back

Jordan

that is pretty exciting to hear, but, a single 40 mile trip is pretty hard to call an average.
my advice is to get a proper speedo gear, and keep track of odo between several fill ups, then average those.
mine gets anywhere between 18.8 and 20... typically it's in the 18.8-19.5 range.
I just tell folks I get 19mpg with it.

Best way to get good gas mileage out of these things is called a Honda. :)

I have a 974dr. 3.5RE lift. 32" MTR's. Auto. 4.56 gears. All stock motor and everything.

ROOF RACK.

I am usually around 13.5 to 14 back and forth to work. Best ever was 16, that was 300 miles of freeway at 65mph held constant.

3" lift, 32" Kumho KL71's, 4.56 gears and I've gotten 17.5 mpg on the last two tanks with a mix of highway (~70mph) and around town driving. It really didn't change since I swapped out the stock gears.

i can remenber when my grandfather worked at the Dodge dealer the had a gas milage tested.It was a contaner with marks in it in qts they filled it to a set mark and hooked it to the fuel pump with a hose and they started the car ran it till it ran out of gas. Than turned a valve so the pump could draw gas from the contaner drove it till it ran out .They done this about 3 times in city driving avg the milage, Them done the same on hwy driving .Got to thinking a person could make such a setup with an electric fuel pump that plug in the cig lighter run the hose to the fuel rail with a valve to turn it off or on a 3or 5 gal contaner set on the passide floor,You could know with in a10th of a mile what you were getting on milage.Besides and thing you did to help gas milage would be seen o2,map tune up .Just a thought.

Ahmen!! while i would tell people my rigs a daily driver i actually drive my 95 civic, its an lx with no power steering or a/c, the thing doesnt way anything and gets 36 city and 47 freeway if i keep it under 75! i love that little guy, picked it up for $1k with 149k on the clock.

its great to hear of others getting decent mileage out of there wheelers, i really think the 5spds have an advantage, i had a stock 93 4.o w/ 5 spd that got 19 in town and my stock auto only got 16, go figure

To get a good comparison you need to list year, engine, tire size (diameter and width), automatic or standard, gearing, and miles on the engine. Other factors sure, but those should be the most important ones.

1998, 4.0L, 32x11.5, auto, 4:56, 139k = 12.3 mpg (mix) 14.3 (highway)

my 96 has a 4" lift, 31x10.5x15 (TRUE measured 31's mind you not BFG 29's)
Steelie rims with 4" BS
70lbs of bumper on the front end and a light foot...
auto with 3.55's
I get 13-14 in the city or the highway, it doesn't matter...
I can't figure it out,

I agree, I have 33"s,3.54 gears(for now):(,6" lift ,and no doors. I can forget about gas mileage, but thats O.K. I don't think about it as long as I'm having a good time and I don't run out!

that is pretty exciting to hear, but, a single 40 mile trip is pretty hard to call an average.
my advice is to get a proper speedo gear, and keep track of odo between several fill ups, then average those.
mine gets anywhere between 18.8 and 20... typically it's in the 18.8-19.5 range.
I just tell folks I get 19mpg with it.

'97 4 door, 2.5" lift, stock 4.0(260km's), stock exhaust, ax-15, 4.56 gears, 31x9.5-15tsl's, bunch of armor, clean roof.

My 99 is on 6 inches lift and 32" 11.50 bfg at's. I took off my roof rack a long time ago and only have the surco cross bars. It's got a fresh engine with flowmaster exhaust. Oh yeah, synthetic diffs.

When on stock gears, I got around 15mpg city or highway. Didn't matter.
After the 4.56 gears, I get around 15 mpg city or highway. Doesn't matter.

I know I've got a cracked header, perhaps thats my problem.

Last edited:
'92 4-door, 3.5-4" lift, t-case, gas tank, front skid, rock rails, stock exhaust, clean roof, 4.0/AW4 3.55s on 31x10.50 Kumho MTs on 15x8 soft 8s with 4" of BS. I average about 18 and thats with 50-60% highway.

1992, 4.0L, auto, 4.5" lift, 33x12.5, 4:56, 245k = 14.5 city / 16.5 hwy

best mileage adders:
gears (~2.5mpg)
removing the rack (~1mpg)
electric fans (~.5mpg)
adding royal purple to diffs (~.5mpg)

Anyone know of a good "how to" write up on how to check the O2 sensors?

1999, 4.6L Stroker, 5-speed, 5" lift, 33x12.5, 4:30, 75k (on engine)

On dino fuel = 16-18 city / 18-21 hwy
On E85 fuel = 11-13 city / 12-15 hwy

Of note, I run front and rear D44's, and locking/unlocking hubs on the front likely help out a bit in milage (i.e. my axle shafts and driveshafts aren't always turning...)

94, 4dr, 2wd, 2.5L, 5 speed, no lift, 200k (today!), 235/70-15 17-19 city or hwy

same as above but with 3" lift and 31 150s 15-16

towing dirt bike -1 or 2

new cap, rotor, wires, o2, air filter, intake gaskets, timing gears and chain, ran better

...no change in mileage

To get a good comparison you need to list year, engine, tire size (diameter and width), automatic or standard, gearing, and miles on the engine. Other factors sure, but those should be the most important ones.

1998, 4.0L, 32x11.5, auto, 4:56, 139k = 12.3 mpg (mix) 14.3 (highway)

1998, 4.0L, 4.5" Lift 32x11.5, auto, 4:56, 139k = 12.3 mpg (mix) 14.3 (highway)

I forgot to add the lift, glad you guys didn't.

Back