• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas tanks...different?

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
So I have an '89 limited...well I've been wheeling her...with about all armor on but a gas tank skid (my mom ran over my skid plate with our Chevy Avalanche and messed it up). So needless to say my gas tank managed to loose a good 2-3 gallons worth of room. Well my dad grabbed me a new (to me) gas tank from pull-a-part off a "newer Cherokee", perfect condition (not the plastic one on 97+). I made the swap yesterday and couldn't figure out why the gauge for gas read as full...I only had a couple gallons in it, if that. Well long story short, I filled up hoping that would knock the sensor loose or something...low and behold, as soon as I turned the engine on the gauge turned to empty! Even after another 10 miles on that tank, the light stays on telling me I'm out of gas!

So it's pretty obvious to me that for whatever reason this new tank is the opposite for the fuel gauge as mine was. The trick is, why? Shouldn't they all read the same? Is there anything I can do?

:compwork:
~Scott

I believe the sending unit on the "newer" tanks are wired the opposite of the "older" ones. You can either live with it or switch the pumps out. JIM.

Just re-use your original pump & sending unit in your new/used tank.

:doh:
I was considering this...but that's such a PIA. I guess I'll just live with it or try and reverse it in the gauge...

Just making sure there isn't something wrong with this...

~Scott

:doh:
I was considering this...but that's such a PIA. I guess I'll just live with it or try and reverse it in the gauge...

Just making sure there isn't something wrong with this...

~Scott
what could possibly go wrong with electrical problems around a fuel tank?:firedevil

Why can't you just change the wiring around on the sending unit on the pump itself? Just a thought, never really dug into my gas tank besides looking at it and seeing that I dented it on a few rocks :)

I would think that, if you determine where to unearth the wires running along the body (under the driver's-side rocker, perhaps...) and which two wires are the pertinent ones, and just cut and switch....that should work....?? Or, at least, help to further diagnose the problem, by elimination.... You could also, while you're in there, find the fuel-pump pos.(ideally, vs. neg.) wire and install an anti-theft kill-switch.

Well...as long as it's not a bad thing to have the wires reversed...I think I'm going to just leave it for awhile. Any thoughts as to weather or not it may cause more problems?

~Scott

Well...as long as it's not a bad thing to have the wires reversed...I think I'm going to just leave it for awhile. Any thoughts as to weather or not it may cause more problems?

~Scott

As long as you're only messing with the gauge wires, you shouldn't have any other problems. Personally, I'd just drive it 'til it's full and fill it up 'til it's empty!

Personally, I'd just drive it 'til it's full and fill it up 'til it's empty!
That's the ticket.............Reverse psychology :idea: :shhh: (A persuasion technique that involves the false advocacy of a belief or behavior contrary to the belief or behavior that is actually being advocated.)
Just might work..............
LOL

Last edited:
Back