• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TRACK BAR BRACKET TORQUE SPECS??

XJ LUKE

NAXJA Forum User
I have an aftermarket track bar bracket on a 2001 XJ, and was wondering the OEM torque specs for the two bottom bolts that hold the track bar bracket to the unibody, as well as the torque specs for the two nuts that hold the track bar bracket to the unibody on the side near the tire. Anybody know? My book doesn't have this....

Thanks!

O.K., I think the two bottom bolts are at 92ft. lbs. (let me know if I'm wrong), but I don't know about those two side nuts near the tire...or even what those are called to figure it out....

I think tight is the correct answer.......

You guys gotta stop thinking torque all the time, I have seen guys debate over Ubolt torque specs? You put them on tight and if anyone picks up a torquewrench while putting on ubolts I am going to laugh them out of the shop, you get your impact wrench and set it to tight......

I torque my track bar bracket to my body weight (190) and my U bolts to as tight as I can get them.

Dont forget to locktight your track bar mount bolts. Those suckers like to come loose.

I heard its also good to tack weld a bit on the track bar mount, may be wrong about that though as I haven't seen many people do that.

I heard its also good to tack weld a bit on the track bar mount, may be wrong about that though as I haven't seen many people do that.

Ive done that, as have many others. If you have the ability to weld, its a good idea.

If you really want to know the spec, look in a FSM or Chiltons guide.

Per the FSM:

Track Bar
Ball Stud Nut . . . . . . . . . . . . 81 N·m (60 ft. lbs.)
Axle Bracket Bolt . . . . . . . . . . 54 N·m (40 ft. lbs.)

Track Bar Bracket
Bolts . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 125 N·m (92 ft. lbs.)
Nut . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 100 N·m (74 ft. lbs.)
Support Bolts . . . . . . . . . . . . . 42 N·m (31 ft. lbs.)

Thanks StoneAttic. But to resolve this issue for everyone going forward, where is there one nut? I saw those specs on another thread as well, and they don't make any sense. Maybe it's the fact that I never saw a stock bracket (as mine had an aftermarket one from the time I bought it), but there's two bolts on the bottom and two nuts on the side.... No "nut" or "support bolts." VERY CONFUSING

Torque only works on brand new hardware anyway. If your using older bolts with corrosion or even rust on them (to the point where the nuts do not thread on 100% as easily as they did when they came off of the assembly line) the torque specs will change dramatically.

Mine were torqued to spec. Then they came lose and the bracket started clunking and it took me forever to identify it as the source. After that I used an impact wrench set to 11. Problem solved. When I learn to weld I am going to weld it on.

Torque only works on brand new hardware anyway. If your using older bolts with corrosion or even rust on them (to the point where the nuts do not thread on 100% as easily as they did when they came off of the assembly line) the torque specs will change dramatically.

Yes, I got new hardware as well.

StoneAttic is the man! For future reference for those doing a search on this, the diagram shows 92ft lbs should be used for the bottom two bolts into the unibody, and around 74ft lbs for the two nuts on the side that come out by the tire.

on the trail i just take mine off....

Back