• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Tumbler Build

Twisted_Dakota

NAXJA Forum User
I am starting this build thread for a friend who bought my XJ after his Rubicon was stolen. He will pop in every now and then.

When I bought it for $700.00

1188960084.jpg

After I got it home and got it running:
(got bored and decided to paint it)
1206672666.jpg

What has been replaced on the Jeep:
New:
Battery
All battery cable
Distributor, cap, rotor
Spark plug wires & Plugs
CPS (crankshaft positioner sensor)
Fuel pressure regulator
Fuel Filter
Fuel Pump
Updated Radiator from a 93'
Coolant Reservoir Bottle
All major Hoses
New ECM
Front Brakes
Front Right Amber turn signal housing

What I had bought for the jeep:

79' Ford Bronco Axles
D44/ 9'' Combo
5.13 gears
Mini Spool for the 9''
Disc Brake set up for the 9''
Warn Premium Hubs for the D44

IMG_2612.jpg

IMG_2605.jpg

IMG_2607.jpg

IMG_2620.jpg

IMG_2618.jpg

After taking the XJ to Copperhead Fabrication

They torn out both axles and all the Suspension. Ryan and I tore out what interior I hadn't taken out already which was the drivers seat and the carpet up front.

5f6dd25a.jpg

b2d13963.jpg

12103644.jpg

b33d9455.jpg

I work at Discount Tire here in Lubbock and his wheels and tires came in today, so I mounted them up and took them to the shop when i got off work. Tires are 37x12.50R 15 Goodyear MT/R's on black steelies.

Not exactly sure on that one. I can will find out tomorrow after work. When I still owned the Jeep I was just gonna use radius arms.

the website for the shop doing the build:
http://www.copperheadfab.com/

Both of those were options i was going to use.... But now the XJ doesnt belong to me so i am not sure whats gonna happen. When I am not at work I will be up at the shop.

I do know the cage work will be starting Wednesday or Thursday. 1/2'' DOM is being used. It will have RADFLO 2.5 Bypass 18'' airshocks on all 4 corners.

It will have a custom cut stainless steel dash

Thats about all I know for now. I will keep the thread updated as much as possible with info and pics.

Both of those were options i was going to use.... But now the XJ doesnt belong to me so i am not sure whats gonna happen. When I am not at work I will be up at the shop.

I do know the cage work will be starting Wednesday or Thursday. 1/2'' DOM is being used. It will have RADFLO 2.5 Bypass 18'' airshocks on all 4 corners.

It will have a custom cut stainless steel dash

Thats about all I know for now. I will keep the thread updated as much as possible with info and pics.

you will keep it updated huh. . . . . :passgas:

This may sound like a noob question but i've been wondering when I see one here or there - what models did that ugly (IMHO) grill in the first picture come on?

The 21 slot grill came on some early XJ's.

Its funny, because it seems like people always remount the grills upside down like in that picture.

Edit:

Here
IMG_0002.jpg

Rule of thumb for normal grills...

1984 - 1988 1/2 = 10 Slots
1988 1/2 - 1996 = 8 Slots
1997 - 2001 = 7 Slots

The 21 slot grill that I put on my '89 came on very early Wagoneers (before they went to quad headlamps) and on certain Brairwood trim level XJ's. That grill didn't survive past 1986.

Last edited:
hmm, thats funny because I always see it on models newer than it belongs on - it was on the April issue of JP magazine - in fact besides the grille that rid is very similar looking to mine (as we call it Clifford)

Personally I love the 21 slot grille and actually if you want to sell it let me know. I've been looking for one.

The shop that was supposed to be doing the build tried to screw my buddy over... He has gotten all his money back after having to go through his bank and after having to hire a lawyer... The build will now start in his own garage I believe... The D44/9 combo is for sale as we speak for $2800.00 its located in Lubbock, TX, if anyone is interested pm me and I will get you in contact with Ryan. He is wanting to run a set of 1-tons.

Actually, I'd be willing to sell those axles for ~ $1500 crated and shipped if anyone is interested. Going back to the drawing board on the XJ and will start working on it in a couple of weeks! I'll definitely keep this thread updated once work begins!

PM me if anyone's interested in those axles; they are taking up room (that I don't have) in my garage and thank you Evan for all the help with the jeep and getting this thread started for me!

Ryan

Awesome! Another build thread to live vicariously through...

(since mine is my DD for now I kinda need to stick to things I can finish in an evening or a weekend)

Back