• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strongest D30 Ring and Pinion?

Red97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
What or who makes the strongest D30 4.56 R&P?

Buddy stripped some teeth off his ring gear. Looking for strenth.

Then, where is cheapest place to buy that R&P?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your input, the Ring and Pinion is new to me and will be my first install.

What ratio did he strip?

Is it a HP D30? If so dont get Yukon, Ive snapped teeth off of 2 seperate 4.88's from them. The 1st set they sent me a replacement cause it had only been 3 weeks since they were installed. The second set is still in the Jeep and not getting replaced with Yukon! This is on a Detroit No-slip with Manual hub conversion so it doesnt see any road miles at all just off road.

Is it a HP D30? If so dont get Yukon, Ive snapped teeth off of 2 seperate 4.88's from them. The 1st set they sent me a replacement cause it had only been 3 weeks since they were installed. The second set is still in the Jeep and not getting replaced with Yukon! This is on a Detroit No-slip with Manual hub conversion so it doesnt see any road miles at all just off road.

That does not have anything to do with Yukon in my opinion. Ever notice how tiny a 4.88 pinion is for a D30? What you've experienced is a fairly common occurrence.

4.88's the weakest set not matter what the mfg. Try like a 3.08. :)

Precision and Superior are both very good d30 gears, as well as Dana Spicer.

I run Precision 4.88's with 35's, I get _really stupid_ with it and havent managed to bust one yet - but I'm very carefull when loaded up in reverse.

There is a school of thought that a good solid diff cover can help cut down on ring gear deflection and breakage. I think I'm sold on the idea. I run a crane CrMo cover, although Ruff Stuff's cover is nice too.

i run yukon 4.56s in my lp 30 and they are the shiat...hold up well locked with 35s

4.88 is a very small pinion yes, but the OP was not talking about breaking his pinion - he was talking about the ring gear, i believe.. correct me if im wrong. US gear isnt the best but there gears are very hard, yukon has very soft gears, they dont produce much noise because theyre so soft but that is a trade off for strength. If you can get away with 4.10s from a factory diff, this is a good setup for a few reasons. #1, your pinion is relatively large, or at least its not tiny. #2, that is a more shallow gear so you wont have as muc torque to break stuff, and #3, the biggest reason is OEM gears are the strongest and best quality, 4.10s is the deepest you will be able to go though. And yes, like Cal said - a strong diff cover will help. It may not do a whole lot but it will reduce housing flex which contributes to striped gears, a truss would continue along that line as well, but that may be polishing the turd a bit too much...

Anyway, 4.10s are pretty shallow gears so unless you have a manual i would suggest this, this is not a gear ratio per tire thread so nobody give any shit about those 4.10s, im simply statin the facts :)

US gear isnt the best but there gears are very hard, yukon has very soft gears, they dont produce much noise because theyre so soft but that is a trade off for strength. :)

Yes, ring gear, not pinion.

This is mostly his trail rig... and some weekend driving, noise is no issue at all. So your saying to go with US for strength, but they will be louder?

Thanks to all for your input!

yes if you are not DDing it DEFINITLY go for us gear, they are also cheaper if nothing else. yukon would be a waste of money, precision and superior are good too like they mentioned.

The LP 30 is weaker than the HP 30. If he's got to replace the R&P again, order a reverse cut gear and get a housing out of an XJ, then swap everything into it, problem should go away.

So, where is the cheapest place to get some US 4.56 D30 gears and a master install kit?

thanks for your help guys!
The internet,you found your way here didnt you????

yes if you are not DDing it DEFINITLY go for us gear, they are also cheaper if nothing else. yukon would be a waste of money, precision and superior are good too like they mentioned.

I have no experience with us gear, or precision, but have different experiences on the other stuff. The Yukon gears I had were better then a friends superior stuff, in strength and sound.

Back