• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broke my shifter linkage bolt!!!

92xjdean

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, so I'm putting in my new engine, removing the old one today. Turned the nut to loosen the shifter linkage from the transmission and snap, the bolt broke right off with very little pressue. This is the bolt that goes right inside the tranny and performs the actual shifting. It has 2 flat sides that the linkage lever slides onto...........anyone by chance have an extra one of these or know where to get one????? It's on a 99 Cherokee.....

I don't think it's a bolt that can be easily replaced, but rather the end of the shifter rod. I twisted the end off of mine when I swapped trannies. I had enough still sticking out to go through the linkage, but not enough to put a new nut back on. I ran a weld bead across where the nut should be and it still holding a few years later.

Edit - Looking at the FSM, it's called the manual valve shaft.

I don't think it's a bolt that can be easily replaced, but rather the end of the shifter rod. I twisted the end off of mine when I swapped trannies. I had enough still sticking out to go through the linkage, but not enough to put a new nut back on. I ran a weld bead across where the nut should be and it still holding a few years later.

If I cant buy one then welding is what I will probably do. Sounds like ours broke just alike! That bolt just as well had been made of pot metal, what a cheap bolt!

If I cant buy one then welding is what I will probably do. Sounds like ours broke just alike! That bolt just as well had been made of pot metal, what a cheap bolt!
The same thing happened to me when I pulled the transmission out of a 97 we were parting out. It's yet to go into the vehicle it needs to end up in so I haven't dealt with it. I figured welding would be what it came down to. Let me know if you guys come up with a different cure.

Hey, is there a part number associated with this part??????

Yup. The threads just twisted right off the 99 AW4 I was swapping in. I wrapped a wet paper towel behind the shift linkage and worked fast, trying not to melt the oil seal behind it. It's holding fine and no leaks.

I looked at my 95 FSM and found the part name and a picture. I searched the parts list for the name and found the part number pretty quick. The parts lists are pretty nice just for their exploded views.

Back