• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil pump question

maztheman

NAXJA Forum User
is there any trick to getting the oil strainer tube inside the oil pump? and should i go with cork or rubber gaskets? thanks

is there any trick to getting the oil strainer tube inside the oil pump? and should i go with cork or rubber gaskets? thanks

The last time I put a pick up tube into a pump I used a wrench the size of the tubing, an 8 inch long 1/2" round punch (to get a little stand off), a vice, a friend to hold the wrench and a hammer, to hammer on the ridge on the top of the pickup tube. i also used Loc Tite metal mender to glue it in there. I contemplated using a spot weld with the MIG and decided to go with the glue. You really want to be sure it is in there to stay. Be careful the wrench doesn't cut into the ridge on the tubing, I used and old wrench and beveled one side a little with a Dremel grinder.
I've used regular old cork with RTV (or Fel Pro silicon coated cork or Mr. Gasket asphaltum coated cork) and the OEM late model type silicon gasket with good results. I avoid the flat rubber types, if I use them I use gasket cement (assembly glue) (high temp. contact glue) on both sides, they have a tendency to slip or the imperfections in the pan (the cone shape around the bolt holes) can crush or cut the gasket around the bolt holes (in my experience) or when the gasket is overtightened it can slip out a seam between the bolt holes (flat rubber gaskets are hard to keep in place without glue). The silicon can be re-tightened at a later date (I've had pan bolts back out, a tiny drop of Loc Tite on them may be advisable), hardened (old cooked) cork can't be re-tightened much with any reasonable expectation of success.
The area around the rear main, the half circle in the pan, can be a trouble spot. It sometimes wants to be tighter or looser than the rest of the pan. The thicker type OEM silicon gasket seems to be ideal for helping to seal this area and/or prevent it from becoming to tight and crushing the gasket all the way through.

Back