• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Altanators-marine

We know that the altanators on the cherokee is in a bad place. Is their anything I could do? How about a marine altanator?

You can relocate it using 4cyl Cherokee parts if you have a Renix (87-90) Cherokee. You could try a marine one also if you have a Renix since they use the typical GM alternator like many boats with Mercruiser Engines do. The problem with any alternator is just that it's still not going to like mud or excessive water spinning around in it's case. I would suggest moving it. Run a search on here, there are a few different ways of doing it.

Altanators FTW!

The main difference between a marine unit and an automotive unit (assuming the same alternator) is the presensce of a spark arrestor screen on the back and front, inside the case. That's it.
Thats not totally true,their windings/regulators are designed to put out more power at lower RPM's.Most (non-automotive) based watercraft dont turn more than 3000 RPM.

I would also like to think that a marine alt would be built with different materials / coatings to make up for the increased presence of salt and moisture. If true, that should make it a longer lasting unit (assuming you dont fry it outright)

I would also like to think that a marine alt would be built with different materials / coatings to make up for the increased presence of salt and moisture. If true, that should make it a longer lasting unit (assuming you dont fry it outright)

there is no more salt/moister in the engine bay of the average boat than in the engine bay of a car in the winter. actually there is probably less
:rtm:

Water/salt-water makes no differnence,we are talking about mud which contains abrasives!

Back