• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 Q's

tharlanjr

NAXJA Forum User
In a few weeks I am going to be swapping out my D30 for a D30 with 4.10's, I have never done an axle swap, but I lifted my jeep by myself.

The question I have is what tools are needed to get the knuckle and brakes off.

I am keeping my brakes and putting a new knuckle for OTK steering. Also I am swapping sriveshaft flanges from the 30's and dont know what size socket I will need.

People who have done this swap, does anyone have any tips?

Doing a 44a with 4.10's and an Aussie at the same time for the rear, but only swapping brakes... Should be pretty straight forward...

:wierd:

jack stands,
13mm wrench for caliper bolts
possibly a c -clamp for recompress the brake pistons
13mm 12 point wrench to remove unit bearings from knuckles
needle nose to remove the steering TRE's cotter pins and whatever size socket or wrench for TRE nuts.
15mm? for Trackbar bolt at axle end

ds flange or do you mean the pinion yoke?

Where the driveshaft connects to the axle, I have a CV joint DS and the axle I am getting is setup for U joints.

So I need to swap one for the other till I can afford a TW's DS.

Yes, pinion yoke, I just google imaged it and thats what I am talking about.

I couldnt figure out for the life of me what it was called, lol

What about the ball joints? do they need to be removed to get the knuckle off?

No.

You need to separate the knuckle from the ball joint, but the ball joints can stay.

I found a sledge hammer worked pretty well to separate the knuckle. (Couple light taps was all it took.)

Where the driveshaft connects to the axle, I have a CV joint DS and the axle I am getting is setup for U joints.

So I need to swap one for the other till I can afford a TW's DS.

Yes, pinion yoke, I just google imaged it and thats what I am talking about.

I couldnt figure out for the life of me what it was called, lol

The yoke shouldnt need to be changed. The CV goes at the other end, by the transfer case.

Your new one may be setup for u-bolts instead of straps to hold the u-joint on, but u-bolts are stronger. Why remove an upgrade?

The yoke shouldnt need to be changed. The CV goes at the other end, by the transfer case.

Your new one may be setup for u-bolts instead of straps to hold the u-joint on, but u-bolts are stronger. Why remove an upgrade?
he's putting a XJ d30 into a ZJ Cal.

ok, that, i didn't catch.

disregard my total awesomeness for the moment.

both wrong, lol

I am putting a ZJ D30 into a ZJ, lol

The person whom I am getting them from upgraded to u joints...

On ZJ's the CV joint is on the Axle side, not the TC side...

I dont have the money to get a different Driveshaft right now, so I am going to keep the stock setup for as little as possible till I can get the Tom Woods DS

Do you happen to know the size socket needed to remove pinion yoke?

both wrong, lol

I am putting a ZJ D30 into a ZJ, lol

Oh, we should have guessed that! .. on naxja. ;)

The person whom I am getting them from upgraded to u joints...

On ZJ's the CV joint is on the Axle side, not the TC side...

I dont have the money to get a different Driveshaft right now, so I am going to keep the stock setup for as little as possible till I can get the Tom Woods DS

Do you happen to know the size socket needed to remove pinion yoke?

1 5/16, but you sometimes need to grind the outside of the socket to fit it inside of the yoke.

sweet, thanks

Thats the one I need to really know.

I dont wanna start the venture without the right tools.

That would piss me off, lol

Back