• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trying to pass IM, having an issue

XJFever

NAXJA Forum User
So for the second attempt at passing, I go in only for them to fail me again. The first time I fixed both of the problems, but the second time (a few days later), a new issue came up.

I live in Alaska, and the Jeep's certificate is from California. The tech said it failed because the check engine light was showing as "on". It doesn't actually light up so maybe the bulb is out, but it still shows up.

Is there a way to check what the check engine light is on for? Or do I have to replace the light bulb first to check the amount of flashes. Anyone think this has to do with the emissions timer?

BTW, 1990 Jeep Cherokee Laredo, 4.0, 158k miles. Changed out thermostat, CPS.

1990 is a RENIX set up, I don't believe it has a check engine light at all.

maybe its a california thing, but a 1990 did not have a check engine light. there may be a spot for it(not on my 89) but there is no way the computer sends a message/signal to it. it should have a timer that reminds you that the o2 sensor needs to be changed. but the renix system does not store codes that can be read. there are diagnostic ports near the relays for computer hookup, but you can only get live data of the sensors from them.

so since there is no check engine light, how come the tech was telling me an indicator was on in his computer.

edit: BTW, i called the tech, who was bein an ass, and he said the check engine light was showing up as "inoperative".

Last edited:
I'd kindly ask him to show you where he was hooked into the computer, as there is nothing under the dash to hook into it with, and if he was attached to anything under the hood, it was with the wrong instrument if it was looking for a check engine light signal.

Its weird, the first im tech didn't even mark that as inoperative. the second guy did. Maybe I should try a different location. The second tech was basically saying since it was California Certificated, it had to have a check engine light. If it was government or something like that, it didn't.

Its weird, the first im tech didn't even mark that as inoperative. the second guy did. Maybe I should try a different location. The second tech was basically saying since it was California Certificated, it had to have a check engine light. If it was government or something like that, it didn't.

I believe your use of the word "tech" is slightly exagerated.

yes you're probably right. So, I took it to the IM station down the street, which apparently owns the one I went to first. I didn't even mention that I already went to the other one earlier. The guy started looking for the check engine light and couldn't find it so just put it as "N", and passed me. So, problem solved.

Back