• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JK Trans Case Shifter.....

Cipey

NAXJA Forum User
I was towing a newer JK the other day (2008) and noticed the tcase shifter is now a push button type similar looking to after market ones for sale.

has anyone taken a closer look at the linkage of this shifter and its possible compatibility with the 231?

Thanks
Cipey

Push button? Are you sure? My 2007 JK has a stick lever with an ordinary looking shifter knob on the top.

My dads 2008 JK is a standard lever as well, with a knob.

I think you didnt look close enough. :)

My dads 2008 JK is a standard lever as well, with a knob.

I think you didnt look close enough. :)

yeah I looked fine, I mean a button on top with a lever, not like the lever in the xj or previous TJ's. It looks just like the after market ones for sale, with a push button on the top. did i mention it had a push button on the top? Not like the ones that came in our xj's? For the transfer case? Has anyone checked into the linkage about compatibility?

Cipey

yeah I looked fine, I mean a button on top with a lever, not like the lever in the xj or previous TJ's. It looks just like the after market ones for sale, with a push button on the top. did i mention it had a push button on the top? Not like the ones that came in our xj's? For the transfer case? Has anyone checked into the linkage about compatibility?

Cipey

Of the 15 or so JK Rubicon's I have driven, none of them had a button.

Until you can tell us what shifter was in that rig, I don't know that we can help you?

Of the 15 or so JK Rubicon's I have driven, none of them had a button.

Until you can tell us what shifter was in that rig, I don't know that we can help you?

cal, it was a 2008 jk. the shifter for the transfer case looked like a novak conversion..but its stock. just a strait rod sticking up like a the auto tranny shifter. to move the tcase shifter, you have to push the button down and pull toward yourself to go from 2wd to 4wdh ect.ect. meaning it didn't look like the one in my xj...i refer to them as the letter "L" shifter because thats what it looks like me. u said your dad has one with the ball and button on top...thats what i am talking about.

just for the hell of it i was thinking about if that would fit in an xj with minimal mod.

what do u think?

Thanks
Cipey

int_main_04.jpg

This is a picture from Jeep.com, presumably it's a 2008 . The shifter looks like the one in my 2007.

Last edited:
No button here.

154_0601_05z+2007_jeep_jk_wrangler+center_stack_view.jpg

And I don't see why you couldn't fit one into an XJ...looks a lot like the cable shifter my WJ has.

154_0601_07jk_34_z.jpg

Thats it..thank you....the sahara unlimited i towed had apolished knob with a button, but...that is the shifter

anyway..the other part of the question is installing it an xj. (i know anything can be installed in anything if you want it bad enough) has anyone done it and how did the install go. PITA or reasonable? as time goes by i am hating my tc lever...'specialy now with the two low

Thanks

Cipey

Is one of these knobs what you saw?

sk2x_striashift_3quarter_polished_notext.jpg

sk2x_litegrip_3quarter_polished_notext.jpg

no. it looked like the top one (no indications though) but it had a functioning button. i had to put the tc in n before i towed it so i know i am not crazy. i never seen one like it before. it came up from the manheim auction as a returned lease. i checked the door sticker it was manufactured in 4/08. i wish i had my camera, i thought it was cool.

Cipey

Last edited:
Back