• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel adapters for Dana 60?

tayman

NAXJA Forum User
I found a Dana 60 on craigslist for $100... I'm wondering if there's anyone that makes a really sturdy wheel adapter for the full float Dana 60 so that I can use my stock pattern wheels (5 on 4.5)? will a 15" wheel even fit over the drum?

I doubt you will be able to fit a 5x4.5 on a full float 60.

I'm building one for mine now and I had to bore out the 8 lug H2 wheels I have to a bigger center hole to fit over the full floating hub. I think the outside diameter of that hub is about 4".

If you could find a semi float 60, you could probably get an adapter since you don't need to deal with the hub.

I found a Dana 60 on craigslist for $100... I'm wondering if there's anyone that makes a really sturdy wheel adapter for the full float Dana 60 so that I can use my stock pattern wheels (5 on 4.5)? will a 15" wheel even fit over the drum?

Unfortunately, No and No. At least not cheaply.
If you convert it to discs you might be able to fit 15s.

that's what I wanted to know. If I do get this thing (which if I'm mistaken is a really good deal?) I guess I'll just have to go 8 lug.

What would be the best axle to match for the front? (I already know about the front D60...)

Last edited:
that what I wanted to know. If I do get this thing (which if I'm mistaken is a really good deal?) I guess I'll just have to go 8 lug.

What would be the best axle to match for the front? (I already know about the front D60...)

$100 for a decent FF D60 is about standard in my area.
For the front... that depends. D60 if you can find one and afford it, D44 if you can't. That depends on SO MANY factors like;
- Do you want the same size u-joints as a D30?
- What can you find in your area?
- What is your skill level?
- What size tires?
- How much work do you want to commit to?

I could probably list things for a few hours...

Gotcha... around here, junkyard price for axles is more like 150-200 on half day...

I don't mind doing some work,
I think I'm pretty skilled...
this is about as good a deal as anywhere around here (except a free 14 bolt SF a friend has)
I'm on 35's now...
same size u-joints would make bolt in easier, but I know there are ways around that...

should I do the 14 bolt, shave it, and run it? I mean, I'm very indecisive... I have a lot of options...

the other question is do I want to go fullwidth... my other option is an 8.8

answers? opinions? I like opinions!

When I mentioned the u-joint size I was talking about the axle shafts... doesn't really effect the bolt-in abilty to much. ;)

Opinions? For 35s... rock the D30 front and the 8.8 or a D44 rear.
Once you get into larger stuff it gets expensive really really really (did I mention really?) fast. I've mentioned this time and time again is various threads. If I had the option, I'd be rocking that 30/44 combo on 33"s or 35"s that I had in my garage was so close to running (3 days before planned install my XJ was deemed totaled).

alright, that's pretty much the opinion I keep getting..... I should just decide and do it!!! I figure that, either way, with ebay parts (yes, name brand, and yes, with everything I need.) it'll run me somewhere around a grand.... I know, you're probably gonna say no way in hell, but I'm pretty sure it's a good ballpark with the parts I found.

alright, that's pretty much the opinion I keep getting..... I should just decide and do it!!! I figure that, either way, with ebay parts (yes, name brand, and yes, with everything I need.) it'll run me somewhere around a grand.... I know, you're probably gonna say no way in hell, but I'm pretty sure it's a good ballpark with the parts I found.

If that grand is for JUST the rear axle parts... then thats about right. You'd be surprised at how fast it really adds up.

lol, knew it! I tallied everything (mind you, I tallied gears, auto-lockers, and master install kits for both axles, plus the approximate price of an 8.8) and it totaled just over a grand. yeah, I know, I could rebuild brakes, get chromoly shafts, and the larger joints for the turdy, but I just wanted to price getting going... I"ll replace the shafts and joints when they break. (If you don't trust me, search ebay)

lol, knew it! I tallied everything (mind you, I tallied gears, auto-lockers, and master install kits for both axles, plus the approximate price of an 8.8) and it totaled just over a grand. yeah, I know, I could rebuild brakes, get chromoly shafts, and the larger joints for the turdy, but I just wanted to price getting going... I"ll replace the shafts and joints when they break.

Ahh, well I thought we were still talking about the rear D60.
A grand would go a long way for a D30/8.8 combo.

Back