• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hack n tap/driveshaft question

dard1324

NAXJA Forum User
So I am getting my gears and lockers installed on Friday and I'm going to swap in my 44 and do my hack n tap at the same time. I have read about 50 different opinions on this: Can I use a front auto XJ driveshaft from a junkyard in my jeep that will have a RE hack n tap and a XJ44 or do I have to have a shaft built?

You could likely use the auto shaft, but I'd get one built. It'll be a lot stronger. You will know that the shaft will last you.

Anybody have an answer for me? Btw this is on a 242.

Sorry man thats what i have.

Isn't the R.E. hack & tap for a flange type joint? A front d/s uses a U-bolt style. I believe there are ways to adapt them, maybe even R.E. has an adapter.
That's exactly what I'm asking. So basically I'm going to either have to have a driveshaft built or go out and find the yoke that matches the front so I can use a front driveshaft?

I've seen a picture of a U-bolt type adapter bolted up to the R.E. h&t flange on an older thread & it allowed use of a front shaft. I'm sorry I can't be more specific. Possibly on the junkyard thread or one of the many sye threads. It does exist though.I looked through my R.E. catalog & they don't have one listed.

That's exactly what I'm asking. So basically I'm going to either have to have a driveshaft built or go out and find the yoke that matches the front so I can use a front driveshaft?

Yes. Buy the flange to use with a front drive shaft's, I believe it is the same as a T-Bird or get a driveshaft built. Tom Wood's is a sponsor of thei forum and produces a great product.

So I am getting my gears and lockers installed on Friday and I'm going to swap in my 44 and do my hack n tap at the same time. I have read about 50 different opinions on this: Can I use a front auto XJ driveshaft from a junkyard in my jeep that will have a RE hack n tap and a XJ44 or do I have to have a shaft built?

I have a RE drive shaft made for the RE hack-n-tap. I paid $250 for it several years ago. I'll sell it to you for $100. There is nothing wrong with it. I'm in San Ramon about 35 miles from you. PM me if you are interested.

4.5-6" lift with aw4, xj44 rear, and front auto driveshaft out back,... zero problems thus far pm for more info. :)

I'm getting ready to have this done with a 242 t'case ... have the same question. But the SYE kit that I have I bought used & don't know what brand it is. I'll just tap in here & observe.

Back