• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

6:00Am and just got done pushing my jeep help!!

jeeptree

NAXJA Forum User
let me cache my breath........
Ok here is the story I just got my XJ up and running after putting it up for the summer (trying to save money)
I Put in a new battery after the old one didn't charge. and It has been running fine In fact I was proud of my little 4.0 I6 with a little over 200,000.
I was coming home from a long night of riding 18 miles (MT. bike not the jeep) and as I was driving I noticed my speedo jumping up really High! I watch it do it about two more times in a time frame of 30 seconds and all of a suddenly my jeep turned off I was going about 25 mph when it died and on top of that I had to decide if I could make the light I was just about to go under! damn I should have just when. Anyway after a min I tried to start it 3 times each time it just clicked and all that lights just died, it wouldn't turn over at all.. I looked under the hood and played with some wires like my dip shit father would do(when he really didn't know what was wrong but wanted to look like he did)and it still didn't work. so I decided to push it 4 blocks to get it to my house. :banghead:
there It sits and I have no clue what is wrong. I really need to get it going this is my dd
and I still have to get it inspected in a couple of days.
I need help with this A.S.A.P PLEASE!!!! any Idea????
Thank you to those that help.

PS. Sorry for any missed speelled words or any offensive language as we all NO its not what the forums are about or how serious it is but how some one missed spelled PNEUMONO­ULTRA­MICRO­SCOPIC­SILICO­VOLCANO­CONIOSIS yes its a word and yes it can be debated. so please if your gona tell me that there is a miss spelled word or its missed used.. SAVE IT!!!!:twak: I just got done pushing a xj four blocks:puke: its 6:00 am I should be sleeping. Well The four block push Up a slit hill isn't bad (It was maybe 4 to 5 degrees but still sucked getting going)now the fact that there were cars that didn't know how to slow down and just about hit me yeah that sucked oh the two turns and lights sucked too.

check voltage at battery, if its near 12v, its ok
if its dead, recharge it to 12v... check voltage before starting it, and while its running. if voltage doesnt go up while its running, and the battery wont hold a charge take your alternator off and have it tested.

Check the battery.. since you changed that it could have been a bad battery from the get go. Plus the gauges bouncing around and electrical issues could be explained by that. It could also be the alternator though, as the vehicle should be able to run off the alternator alone.

check voltage at battery, if its near 12v, its ok
if its dead, recharge it to 12v... check voltage before starting it, and while its running. if voltage doesnt go up while its running, and the battery wont hold a charge take your alternator off and have it tested.

I agree sounds like the alternator isnt charging causing the battery to drain while you were driving.The speedo started jumping due to lost voltage.

You should have 12 volts at the battery . Start the engine let it run for a few minutes check the voltage at the battery should be above 12 like 13-14 volts also check at the alternator should read within .5 volt of each other.

Good Luck Nick

when did you install the new battery? and by new, where and what brand is this new battery?
do you have a jumppak or another vehicle you can jumpstart your jeep with? If so do this, and then check voltage while running. The alternator should be putting out 13-15 volts while running. It can be tested without being removed.

sounds like you got your exercise for the entire week!
btw im looking for a new mt. bike, has to have disc brakes frnt and rear and a nice suspension. ohh and less than $300.

Last edited:
sounds just like the alternator. when i got my jeep it was sitting for 2 years and the battery had exploded prier to that. so i just unplugged the battery jump started it and drove home with no battery.

i know this is a bad thing to do but it still works fine.

I think it is the alternator. Bad battery, cables, etc... should only give you an issue during starting. I'm assuming you didn't have the 7 KC lights on while you were driving home.

The xj will not run with a bad battery, even if you jump start it from another vehicle, if the battery is fully charged it will run, the alternator has an external regulator located in the PCM power control module, The first thing I would check would be the battery or swap in another one and try that first, it should start and run if it's charged, not for long, that fuel pump takes a good bit of amps to keep pumping. I would for sure check connections first to make sure they are tight and no corrosion.

The xj will not run with a bad battery, even if you jump start it from another vehicle, if the battery is fully charged it will run, the alternator has an external regulator located in the PCM power control module, The first thing I would check would be the battery or swap in another one and try that first, it should start and run if it's charged, not for long, that fuel pump takes a good bit of amps to keep pumping. I would for sure check connections first to make sure they are tight and no corrosion.

Really? That's interesting. Why wouldn't it run? The battery acting as an AC ripple filter for the computer?

Yeah it will run intill the battery gets low enough that the speedo starts to jump.
Then engine quits never to restart, due to alternator not charging .

Nick

Yeah it will run intill the battery gets low enough that the speedo starts to jump.
Then engine quits never to restart, due to alternator not charging .

Nick

Good to know. Thanks.

Really? That's interesting. Why wouldn't it run? The battery acting as an AC ripple filter for the computer?

That's one good reason. The Ford EEC-IV engine computers will fry if you disconnect the battery with the engine running. BTDT when someone wired the engine kill switch wrong. It just disconnected the battery, instead of disconnecting the battery and the alternator charging feed - poor thing sputtered along for about 10 seconds before the ecu smoked.

well First I would like to thank everyone that helped I havent gotten a min to look at it yet. but I am planing on looking at it latter today.
Just to let everyone know the vehicle in qustion is a 94 it has just over 200,000 on it
The vehicle has been off the road for just over 6 months like I said befor and I just got a new battery.
whats going on...
it is not turning over, you can here the starter try and the lights dim. this just happen out of the blue all with in 30 seconds then boom nothing
once again thank you all for your help and If you can think of anything that I can look at latter please post it.

Hi guys, I think it could be a good idea to check grounds all around, since the XJ was sitting for a long time , it could have corrosion build up in the ground wires, make sure the battery terminals are tight and clean , a bad connection can cause this kind of problems even with a new battery

regards
german996

Bad CPS................Same thing happened to me in my 93
Get one from a junk yard b/c they cost way to much new.

If not I also had a problem starting b/c of my NSS. These are easy to fix and clean, if you can get it off. I broke mine trying to get it off........so for awhile I had to jump the starter by connecting the 2 terminals on it with a screwdriver. NSS also cost a lot, so I just hot wired mine to start in any position.

ok a little up date. I got it runing "ish" well I got it turning over to be exact with my foot on the floor. any way thats with a new battery. I took the bat back and it was bad so they gave me a new one. anyway I really think its the alt. I have everything soking in pb blaster right now and Im going take it out. and get a new one.
once again thank you all. im in a bind as far as money and time. I love the economy by the way!!! so Thank you again everything has been really helpful and I have learned a lot. I thought it would turn out to be the alt from the get go but Im in such a bind that I wanted as much reassurance as I could get befor I dove in..
well here I go wish me luck lol.

Back