• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to measure actual height of lift?

BOB

MWC geezer
NAXJA Member
I can't recall if my lift was 3 or 3.5.
I also have 2 in spacers in front.
I have extended shackles on the rear.
I also have a bastard pack springs in the rear.

I want to replace the worn springs and shocks.

How can I measure the actual height of my Jeep?

BOB

Take a ground to stock compnent measurement ont he front and rear of your XJ (body lines are good for this) then take a measurement on a stock XJ. Note the differance here. This will be your first clue.

The next one is to measure your tires and subtract the size of the stock tire. Take your differance and divide it by 2.

Subtract tire measurement from body measuement. This is your total lift.

If I'm wrong, someone PLEASE correct me! Its early and I just walked into work!

Measure from the center of your hubs vertically to the bottom of the flares. Stock fronts were 17.5", the rears were 17".
Obviously this wont work if you have trimmed, removed or relocated your flares.

I can't recall if my lift was 3 or 3.5.
I also have 2 in spacers in front.
I have extended shackles on the rear.
I also have a bastard pack springs in the rear.

I want to replace the worn springs and shocks.

How can I measure the actual height of my Jeep?

BOB

I didn't have any stock measurements to go by, so I'd just go look for a stock XJ parked somewhere and take some measurements. :)

the link above is good, and jeepforums also got a chart somewhere on there

its always bugged me when people gave the hub to flare measurement because i dont know of an XJ who could use that method (ie trimmed the fenders already)

the link above is good, and jeepforums also got a chart somewhere on there

its always bugged me when people gave the hub to flare measurement because i dont know of an XJ who could use that method (ie trimmed the fenders already)

Point taken but honestly, I know of many, many more XJs with the edges of the stock flares intact, especially on the right coast where most of the states have tire coverage laws dont permit the removal of the flares

Hell, most states have laws saying usually you can't have more than 1" of tire or no tire extending beyond the flare. I guess it depends on how much the cops like to ticket you for it, but guarantee if you fling a rock up at a cop and don't have legal flares you're gonna get a ticket, lol. I like the bump stop pad to spring seat, and axle to bumpstop method for measuring lift. What I did was average front and rear measurements and just call that good. Found out I'm at 6" in the rear with no sye, lol. Bad, I know, its on its way just waiting for it to show up.

Thanks for the helpful info though, if you guys are still around.

Back